Thank Goodness for strong wine bottles.

We had a real shaker here yesterday. The 7.0 earthquake shared the S#&% out of me but miraculously not a single broken bottle of wine. I had about 50-60 bottles slide out of my racking but none broke. My passive cellar is a crawl space where the surface below the racking is carpet. Even so I was shocked that bottles falling on top of other bottles did not result in breakage. [cheers.gif]

Wine glasses… not nearly so fortunate. Certainly thinned out that heard.

glad to hear you didn’t lose any wine-soldiers. sorry about the glasses though. hope everything else in your house and neighborhood is OK

Glad your family is safe. As my best friend learned in Hurricane Michael, life is precious and paramount.

Glad to hear you’re ok.

We have a place in Sitka, but no shaking reported.Glad everything is OK Don [cheers.gif]

After you thinned out your heard, did your ears hurt?
If you had thinned out your herd, perhaps your cattle would have hurt.
Sounds painful either way.
Phil Jones

Don, that carpeting probably helped more than you know, even for the bottles falling on top of other bottles. But still, you got lucky. Glad both your family and your wine was not harmed.

When the 2001 Nisqually quake hit the Seattle area (with the same 7.0 magnitude, but further away from the main population area), I was driving in to Seattle Wine Storage, and happened to be at the apex of a 200’ tall bridge over the ship canal. My vehicle was rocking and rolling big time. Got in to work and with trepidation, checked out our storage facility. Opened the door, took a sniff. So far, so good. Turned on the lights and walked around, and was thrilled to discover no damage, even to a locker where loose bottles were standing upright on the edge of the shelf.

Don,

Glad you and your family are OK.

Cheers,
Doug

Wow, glad you (and your bottles) are ok!

Glad to hear you’re doing well-- talked to a friend from your town, and his cellar suffered minor damages. Similar to yours- decorations damaged, though few bottles have ‘completed their term’.

Chuck

I can’t imagine the terror of being on a bridge during a strong earthquake. I would guess that experience still fuels nightmares.

Yea, I have two friends that had minor loses and one who, like myself, lost no bottles.

The thing is, Don, when you’re on ‘solid’ ground, you know it’s an earthquake right away. In a vehivle, not so much. I was in a big pickup truck and had just put on a new set of tires the day before, and I thought something was wrong with the tires! I pulled off the highway at the end of the bridge, and only then realized that all the other cars were stopped as well and my mind finally clicked.

I was in my home office when it hit and I can assure you it was a heart-stopping experience. But the real implications don’t hit you until it is over. We’ve been having aftershocks ever since so it keeps reminding you how small and powerless we are when mother nature roars. My wife was physically ill from the effects of the whole thing. Aftershocks have subsided significantly but we are still getting a few.

Chuck,

It’s interesting that you shared this…I too was in a vehicle during that Seattle earthquake. I was standing in a military bus going out to training for PLDC and thought it was the bus driver messing around with us with jerky braking…it was amazing how insulating that one experience was. I never felt any threat, fear, or other emotions I would assume most experience during an earthquake. I’m glad that everyone here is doing fine and wish everyone the very best during challenging events like this.