How Long Lived Are Top Brunellos From Outstanding Vintages?

I’ve heard Brunellos are most often best enjoyed within their first decade of life. I went pretty long on 2010’s from reliable producers and although I intend to check in with them from time to time, I’m wondering if these wines will still be desirable at age 20. Any thoughts on the subject? Thanks.

mmmmmm … just last week I purchased a 23 yo bottle and a 25 yo bottle. I sure hope what you’ve heard doesn’t apply to me!

Curious myself. Bringing 2 bottles of 2001 Biondi-Santi Reservas to our annual holiday lunch this week for a large group of experienced tasters. Will report back.

Michael,

I have had quite a few at 30,40 and 50 years of age, including:

1980 Castiglion del Bosco Brunello di Montalcino
1968 Tenuta Greppo (Biondi-Santi) Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
1970 Tenuta Greppo (Biondi-Santi) Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
1979 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino
1979 Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino Poggio alle Mura

Each of the above were terrific, with true tertiary complexity.

Cheers
Jeremy

I find I enjoy them the most at around 20 years of age

A few months ago, I had a bottle of 2005 Ucceliera (so a “poor” vintage). It was drinking really great and didn’t taste “old.” Would it last another 7 years to make its 20th? Don’t know, but it would make it’s 15th quite easily.

While some wines are going to last longer than others depending on the winery’s style and the vintage, I’m not going to be opening any of my 2010 Bruenllos before 2020.

Which of your wines are you concerned about?

Jeremy: very encouraging. Thanks for the response.
Justin: the 3 producers I have the most of are: Il Poggione, Fuligni, and Costanti.
I have the opportunity to reload on the 2010 Il Poggione and Fuligni at attractive prices and wanted to have an idea that the wines wouldn’t decline before I get to drink them.

At one time, Brunello had the reputation for needing lots of age. Picked early with little tannin management and kept in cask a long time required long aging. I still have a couple 1975.

I have a hard time understanding who would make such a claim that Brunellos are best within a decade of their life. This may be true for a lower-end producers, but even then I have felt that such wines have benefited from extra age. There are plenty of 95s right now that are beautiful and I’ve had a fair amount of 01s that feel like there are another 15+ years left in the tank.

We have had some 1997s recently. One was pruney – I think just made in a modern style and thus not aging well. All of the others were very good to excellent – some clearly with more time ahead of them. I am less familiar with more modern vintages, but to say that Brunellos don’t age well is not an accurate statement going by my experience.

I have always subscribed to the thought that I should always give my Brunello’s at least 10 years of age. Everything I have read, along with some personal experience, points to the fact that the 1997’s are drinking really well now and have only started drinking really well within the last ~5years? Maybe it is a little different with more modern producers like Casanova di Neri? I popped a 2004 Tenuta Nuova in 2017 and it was definitely not in a good spot. I imagine it needs another 3-5 years. Anybody have experience with these wines?

I will admit that Brunello is one of my wine blind spots, and I have no dog in the fight, but this fairly recent thread made some points against

depends a ton on the producer for sure, the ones you’ve got I would bet on to last a long time. I have an '88 Biondi Santi Im holding for a big Bday and have few doubts that the right bottle of Biondi could last much longer than 50 years

I am drinking 1997, 2001, and 2004 now and they are all in a pretty good place. The '01 and '04 might not be at their peak yet. Good Brunello can definitely go 20+ yrs…

I’ve had many dozen Brunello wines going back to 60s-80s in the past decade; can only remember one or two that were tired. A 1986 Caprilli that was purchased on release at the winery, and consumed recently was very fine. Fully mature, but satisfying on many levels. Fwiw, the wine never left Italia. Yes, they can age; non-riserva seem to do just as well. Naturally, the producer matters most.

Definitely depends on the producer. I recently participated in a Biondi-Santi Riserva vertical tasting back to 1983 and the '83 was singing, while a 2004 was still way too young.

Your Il Poggione and Costanti have a long way to go (I have some of each and don’t intend to touch them for 7 years or so, but I’m taking my age into account or I otherwise could wait longer). The Fuligni needs time as well, but in my experience less than Il Poggione or Costanti.

Personally I’m just starting to drink some of my “earlier drinking” 2006s.

I’ve not had a lot, but Soldera and Biondi Santi Riservas at 20-30 years old are fantastic and in no way “old”

Yeah the 97 Neri was okay, but no where near as great as some of the others.
Pietranera was the one that seemed stewed and off.

I’ve really enjoyed BdMs in the 10-20 year range. Haven’t had any much older than that. At 10 they’re still youthful and show some tannin but have some development. At 20 they’re softer and show a lot more secondary notes. All go well with rich food. Il Poggione seems a longer developer, and Pacenti and Fuligni perhaps not as long. I’ve drank up all my ‘97s and ‘01s at this point, still have a few more ‘04s. Can imagine acquiring more ‘04, ‘06, and ‘07 for near term consumption. I haven’t touched my ‘10s yet.

2009 Il Poggiones are supposed to be nearing some kind of maturity according to CT, but 2010s are nowhere near.