TN: 2016 Eleve, Snowy Peaks Winery, Colorado

Note: This bottle was one of two I was sent by Kyle Schlacter for tasting and one of the 13 finalists in the recent Colorado Governor’s Cup wine competition. The bottle has been subjected to some heavy recent travelling. Fedexed from Colorado to the Boston suburbs, and then about a week later taken on a drive from MA to FL. It has rested for about two weeks. Hope I am giving it a fair go.
From the label:. A blend of Syrah (42%), Petite Sirah (38%) and Mourvedre (20%).
Opened and poured myself a small first glass: deep garnet color; very inviting first scent of fruit but more herbal and spicy; markedly bright fruit at first taste; spicy at swallow; fruit and spice both stay around during a long dry and pleasant aftertaste. As I finish the first glass all is evolving a bit, the bright fruit becoming somewhat tamed. I also note the appearance of very distinctive new scents that I cannot immediately identify, but then nail these as garlic and parmesan coming from the dinner preparation in the kitchen. (Bravo Jim!)
Second small glass with dinner: Chicken Parm but “not the usual” version - parmesan and garlic cream sauce with garlic, mushrooms and spinach over egg noodles. No dramatic changes in the wine with food, but the brighter edges were notably smoother. My wife’s first comment: “Mmmmm nice!”. She elaborated as “elegant and a bit profound” and “olives”. From each of our perpectives, we both enjoyed this wine (de gustibus non est disputandum). I poured her a second and myself a third as we finished our meal.
I vacuvined the remaining wine which we will enjoy with pizza this weeked . . .

. . . had a glass with pepperoni pizza on day 2 which was a better food pairing, enjoyed this wine more than on day 1; finishing last of it today(Day 4), very nice, no traces of the overly bright fruit, settled down to nicely balanced, enjoyable sipping.

eleve.JPG

Glad you enjoyed it!