A weekend full of champagne, including '96 Bollinger VVF, '88 Deutz Vinotheque and more

I promised to post on the Bollinger VVF, and decided to include the other champagnes from this weekend.

1996 Bollinger Vielles Vignes Francaises – Served with one of Jonathan’s specialty dishes: classic cold seafood platter of lobster, shrimp, and Dungeness crab cooked after the traditional, time consuming individual prep in court bullion and chilled overnight and served with homemade, aged mignonette, cocktail and mustard/mayonnaise sauces. Also beautiful Glidden Point oysters. Larger bubbles than expected, but they didn’t come off as aggressive at all. With the benefit of hindsight, I would have served this in Gabriel Gold glasses rather than the Lehmann handblown tulips I used (my usual champagne favorites). There was a background of mangoes, banaas, especially when you took a large sip (almost a sacrilege) followed by a chocolate finish. While both lithe and elegant, this had a broad palate, with great complexity and persistence, balanced but not a serious acid back. Its breeding showed through for me, with a certain je ne said quoi that I can’t describe but could point to. I would have loved some more time with this. As it was, I saved my last half glass longer than the others and was rewarded for doing so, with an even deeper mid-palate and snappier finish. One of my champagnes of the year, for sure.

1988 Deutz Vinotheque – With caviar: Luscious golden color, delicate and very exuberant bubbles. On the nose, well developed and age appropriate oxidative notes, alongside lighter citrusy and floral elements. Very pretty, with a touch of bitterness after the VVF, with decidedly more delicacy. There was still good depth, and I wish I had more time with it. Overall impression was clean and bright, not wildly complex, and a good reset from the previous bottle, with which it could not (and was not expected to) compete.

NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne Grand Siècle Grande Cuvée – a good move for the last afternoon champagne, served with a rich uni pasta. Red berry fruit, much more linear and clean than the two older bottles which preceded it, effusive by comparison. I very much liked the mineral line and backbone, though it came across as having still fruit and alcohol to be tamed, mostly by contrast. Perhaps it was made to look more unwieldy than it truly was, but delightful in its own right. Our guests brought this bottle and it was much appreciated.

1995 Charles Heidsieck Champagne Blanc des Millénaires - voluptuous palate, very round, more brioche than expected, in a very nice place. I was a little tired at that point, and enjoyed rather than evaluated. Actually a nice surprise, and outperformed expectations.

NV Francis Boulard Les Murgiers Extra Brut – This is the 2007 base, 2015 disgorgement. If I was tired on the last bottle, I was pretty much done for at this time (getting over an illness, not suddenly become a lightweight!), but do remember that this was lovely, balanced, and as pleasurable always. No concerns about its trajectory, feeling perfectly mature and an absolute pleasure, if not an intellectual giant

2002 Deutz Cuvée William Deutz – Opened after dinner (and after the stepson went to bed) on my birthday to have with caviar. To get into the spirit, I put on an evening gown and JR his tux, and we lit candles. It was certainly an atmosphere designed to enhance champagne. This opened up with tiny, effusive bubbles and a lemony, hyacinth nose, without much in the way of age apparent. That impression continued into a juicy palate, lip smacking, and a good match with the caviar. The lemons gave way to white peach with very fresh and dancing mouthfeel. Not too many notes, but the notes were deep, with good balance. It was a very nice drink, both a gulpable and serious champagne.

NV Bruno Paillard Champagne Extra-Brut Rosé Première Cuvée - – Our friends brought this on Saturday and we didn’t get to it with them, so decided to pop it with delicious fried chicken on Sunday. Light salmon color, good citrus back, lighter red berry, like a really good sparkling provencal rosé, a much different beast to what followed, not something to go with red meat or duck, but great with fried chicken. Delicate, minerally, I admit it went fast and was appreciated, if not exactly contemplated. Did well in Gabriel Gold glasses.

2002 Ruinart – horribly corked. Very sad.

NV Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Rosé – What more can I say about this that I haven’t said before? My favorite all around NV rosé, exactly in my sweet spot of character, richness, style, class and elegance. Love it.

A real nice lineup and always more enjoyable with good friends. Good that the Bolly VV lived up to expectations.

That’s a spectacular assortment. The 90 and 96 VVFs were thrilling when I had them. The 90 was the only time I caught auction fever, with no regrets.

Have a 96 William Deutz on deck for New Year’s.

Thanks, Jim. It was fun to do an all champagne weekend, though we didn’t plan it that way from the start. This was my first VVF. My husband purchased a few on release and he’s/we’ve been biding our time. I think now is perfect for the 1996.

Enjoy the '96 William Deutz!

Forget the wines. I’m more impressed by your sartorial choices.

Doing your best Myrna Loy and William Powell imitation. Bravo!

And Deutz is a favorite sleeper producer … always an honest and giving Champagne.

Thank you! Funnily enough, we made much the same reference, saying we should really be having martinis, given our attire.

Nice! We drink Champagne all year 'round, but there is something about this time of year that has one reaching for it even more than usual!

Thanks for the notes. Assuming the Blanc de Millenaires was Charles and not Piper Heidsieck.

Glad the VVF showed so well for you. Nice other wines too; I haven’t had great fortune with the Deutz Vinoteque so it’s nice that yours showed well. Belated happy birthday and best for the holidays.

Thanks for the notes Sarah and Merry Christmas to you.

We had the current bottling of Grand Siècle yesterday. A blend of '02, '04 and '05. Absolutely superb!

Hi Kris - I was wondering about that myself. Unfortunately I threw out the bottle before writing up my notes, and the front label in my photo doesn’t say, however the picture of the label for the 1995 Charles Heidieck Blanc des Millenaires in CT is the white and gold rectangular label with the smaller oval above in white, gold and blue. The bottle my friend brought is stamped on the front with silver, saying Blanc des Millenaires and Vintage 1995, no paper label at all. The only place I could find that bottle pictured in CT was under Piper Hiedsieck Black des Millenaires. Not that CT is the authority, of course.

I am not familiar enough with the house and its labels to know from where the confusion comes (two different bottlings? Disgorgement date?), but would be happy to learn!

Thanks very much, Steve! That’s too bad about your back luck with Deutz Vino. We have quite a bit of the Deutz Vintotheque of various vintages, and all have been good to stellar, in the case of the 1975. Those magnums of '75 are among the best champagnes I have had. We opened one for our wedding which was so good, we were tempted to tell everyone else to go away so we could drink it alone.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

agree on the egly rose for it’s style, but would still have to give the nod to ruinart as my go to
cheers sarah

Right up my alley, as I have become a Champagne freak.

Love the Deutz evening, in formal attire. Looks like you married the right man!

That’s Charles.

Thanks, I’ll change it. Any idea why the different bottles?

Newest release has new label vs. the older version gold and white label. Can scroll thru and see old vs. new.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/charles+heidsieck+blanc+de+millenaire+champagne+france/1995

Yup, she definitely did! Jonathan’s cooking…mmmmm…happy duck memories…mmmmm…

great report Sarah, indeed very sad about the Ruinart, which I’ve enjoyed twice before. Your note on the Laurent-Perrier tracks what I’ve experienced before and I really should stock a bottle or two of it at all times. Haven’t had any of the others, so the notes much appreciated. All the best to you and Jonathan over the holiday season.

Mike