Seriously, a bourgogne rouge for $120.

Lets complain about burgundy prices shall we?. Sylvain Cathiard 2015 Bourgogne rouge for 120 dollars. Are you f*** kidding me? Gonna have to start drinking some roussillon wines pretty soon.

I would buy every bottle of Bizot Bourgogne Rouge for $125-- that I could find.
And that might be a handful if I am lucky.
Sometimes wines way outperform their “classification”.

chapitre is hardly ordinary bourgogne rouge tho. i believe winehog has written about this terroir before.

Coche is 200…

Those cathiard prices from wine cellarage were rough though.

1 Like

When people have too much money - or not enough idea of value - ok, so be it.
The last I bough was for 25 incl.

I do not think the wines at Cathiard have improved since Sebastian took over from Silvain, just the opposite.
For 120 you´ll get a lot of 1er Crus and fine Village wines that may be much more rewarding after some bottle age.

But if one definitely wants to read Cathiard on the label (with or without Bourgogne) - ok, pay 120 for it.

If retailers offer it for 120 and people buy them, its the fault of the buyers, in my opinion, not of the retailers, right?

I love Cathiard’s wines but I wouldn’t pay that kind of price for a Bourgogne.

Also it´s a fraction of that price at the producer!

Since the 2016 vintage of top Burgundy is already sold through, I would guess that this is inflated from when it was originally released.

What did the 2015 cost when it came out 18 months ago or more?

Sheeesh…U can find grand cru’s at that price

No more than ÂŁ240 per case IB but I have never bothered to buy this wine.

FWIW, ‘17 is being offered at £260 per case.

And excellent ones too. I was just offered and bought Rossignol Trapet’s lovely Chapelle Chambertin 2015 (I am on a R-T mini spree, having just bought a case of Chambertin) for a lot less than this Bourgogne.

Exactly.

So this really has nothing to do with Cathiard Bourgogne, and everything to do with a merchant who is charging a wildly inflated price.

I think Cathiard is pretty expensive no matter who is offering it, at least in the US. That winecellarage offer was especially expensive though. There were premier crus on it over $1000/btl.

What I quoted were EP pricing, secondary markets are usually higher.

So many buyers and so little available, I am pretty much squeezed out of L’orme (CM village) which could be fantastic in some vintages.

i just found an email from the summer of 2016 where wine cellarage offered the 12 cathiard bourgogne rouge for $38 per bottle. ever since they launched their future arrival program, inventory and pricing has gone by the wayside.

Am amazed that people don’t talk more about Bizot. Since the 2015 vintage he’s become, as far as I am concerned, the best red winemaker in Burgundy. His Chapitre 2015 drunk recently floored all of us (and we frequently drink Comte LB, Rousseau, Leroy, etc). His 2016s are on another planet. I stupidly stopped buying when he doubled prices for the 2015 vintage but that was a real mistake - now buying everything I can find.

Does this mean that all Bourgogne Rouge now is $120?

Good call. RT is a very underrated producer whose wines are relatively reasonably priced.

The retailer doesn’t know yet that the “Transcendent” guy is now out.