ZinEx Anyone?

Any Beserkers heading to ZinEx this week in San Francisco? I leave tomorrow and will be there through the Grand Tasting. If nothing else, would love to say “hello” and maybe grab a glass of Riesling, er, Zinfandel. thedrunkencyclist.com

Not going, but… This is a ZAP-sponsored event but appears to be much smaller than the ZAP tastings of old at FtMason.
Not sure how well organized it is, but many of te big names are pouring.
Please report back after the event, Jeff.
Tom

The public tasting events at Fort Mason were raucous, over the top and left many folks very ZAPPED.
I recall having to actually yell over the din to those pouring and even those next to me.
I am sure the experience has been much improved.

The event sounds mighty exciting:

The last time I was there (ZAP) maybe 2007/2008 this how I felt. Towards the end of the Grand Tasting there were loud drunken a-holes smashing their glasses down on the floor. No Thank You. Never attended again. I hope this years events are more in line with a civilized event.

I must say, however, my favorite events at ZAP were the “Dinner with the Winemakers”. Loved those and got to have dinner with Ridge, Ravenswood and Biale. That was special!

I’m going. Here’s the list of wineries as well as what they’re pouring:

The zap tasting these days are nothing like the old drunkfests years ago at Ft. Mason. We went last year and it was quite enjoyable.

My first and only time to ZAP a guy bet me $100 I couldn’t make it thru the event in a white dress shirt. The raucous group reaching over and thru you was the biggest risk, but I walked out with a crisp Benjamin Franklin, then promptly got dripped on by the Somm at dinner.

Hundred dollar karma but it had to happen. The high paid professional got you rather than the drunken crowd. [cheers.gif]

There used to be a trade portion, usually the first two hours of the events where those of us in the business could meet and talk/taste with the various producers which was informative a relation building. We stayed too long at a Pinot Days event and were over run by the early attendees who grabbed every free item available, then mobbed every table like ants, with little or nor attention to what they were drinking beyond getting their money’s worth of wine.

For those of who don’t know, these events are held all over the USA. If you as a winery/wine maker want to participate, you have to pay. You have to donate so much for auction, bring a major amount of wine to pour for the event, pay to ship it all there, fly yourself there and pay for lodging and food. It’s advertising. It’s a hassle and we’ve watched as many smaller/newer producers drop out after a year or two.

I went to the trade tasting on Thursday, do not miss it.
It is smaller and can be controlled more easily due to the layout, a larger and a smaller rectangle within and everyone in plain sight of all present.
The range of Zin styles is on display.
Highlights for me, in addition tasting many quality wines, catching up with Nils Venge,and speaking with Scot Harvey, Joel Peterson and Morgan about their current relases all dedicated Zin proponents.