1994 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA VINA TONDONIA GRAN RESERVA RIOJA

Another recent in the mood opening of a Spanish Tempranillo proved to be the wrong choice {the 05` Vina Bosconia was the other} as i found this wine to be in a valley stage rather than an expression of it peak potential which I experienced during the last visit.

1994 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA VINA TONDONIA GRAN RESERVA RIOJA- due to a last minute drinking choice decision, I pulled this from its side posture in the cellar rack, decanted and soon thereafter poured into a Riedel Vinum Bordeaux stem to allow for faster warming and earlier drinking; the nose had lots of wild, gamy leather and black currant; the taste profile had more of the same which continued on to the back end initially, but in time, things started to come together and it at least had some resemblance to the wondrous 94` I had a few months ago which inspired the pull on this occasion; it moved toward greater balance and gave more distinct plum, black cherry/ berry fruit but never reached a place of total commitment; lesson learned= stand it up, do a long decant of a few hours and enjoy the enhanced performance.

Cheers,
Blake

fullsizeoutput_21bc.jpeg

Sounds like you enjoyed it.

Blake,

Thank you for sharing this note, I’ve only got two of these so I’ll hold off a bit longer based on your note. Thank you.

Same things happen to me when I try to pour a Barolo - muted, hot, tight, lame, off.

If I stand it up for a week, decant for several hours, nearly always shows well.

It gets harder and harder to drink well when all my impulse bottle openings fail like Blake’s…

Eventually, but not to the extent of past visits.

Noah, I seem to be having this experience to be the norm with just about every wine I’m opening these days/ months/ year in that they start off with less than the best or most expressive characteristics and over time evolve into something much better. And, I’m including champagne, whites, reds, everything. I thought I was going through a palate change and maybe I am, but the difference is so stark and noticeable, I’m concluding its has to do with many wines once opened and exposed to air.