Does Chablis have premox issues like other white burgs?

Thinking of picking up some Les Clos for longer term cellaring. Do these wines experience similar premox issues to other white burgs?

I can sadly say YES from experience.

You can vastly improve your odds with Raveneau. But you will have to take a second on your house to afford it. [wink.gif]

I’m pretty sure that Fevre is now using DIAM closures on their GC’s. Perhaps this will help.

Droin had issues w 1996; other Chablis domaines have also, even Dauvissat. Caution!

This one of many threads:

Recently had a Premox Dauvissat which made me sad.

Does the Pope sh** in the woods?

Sorry couldn’t resist the bad sarcastic comment. It’s so frustrating. Even the best wines from “top producers “ like Raveneau and Dauvissat pre-mox. Higher general acidity and less oak aging by most producers in theory should help Chablis avoid pre-mox, but I don’t think in practice the theory holds.

Thanks everyone. So now I’m totally depressed. Sigh…

I don’t think more or less oak has anything to do with premox. Lees contact is important due to the glutathione in the lees. SO2 and pH levels as well.

No need to be depressed and no need to spend a c-note or more per bottle. Chablis remains one of the great values in the white wine world. Try a producer like Servin (especially the Montee de Tonnerre 1er) for $40 or less. Drink them up to 5 or 6 years after vintage date and you minimize the pre-mox issue.

Yeah 1er Cru can be a value but I’ve noticed some eye watering prices in the last few months in Ontario ($66 for B-S Montee de Tonnerre 2015, $76 for W Fevre MdT 2016!!). The comment about earlier drinking reducing the risk is good. For 1er Cru I tend to aim around five plus years.
I’ve not been quite so keen on the Grands Crus, price and style wise there’s a lot of alternatives in other parts of Burgundy; they often seem less Chablisiens to me but that just be insufficient exposure to Grands Crus.
Yes Dauvissat past six or seven years I’ve had both fresh and slightly oxidised examples.
2014 should be a good bet with the higher acidity.

Does premox exist in Chardonnay from anywhere else in the world?

Mark - yes it does, but it seems less prevalent. For example, Kumeu River (in NZ) had issues through mid to late 90s. Screwcaps now and I’ve not seen or heard any problems since.

I have had premox in Chablis but it has not been as pervasive as other white burgundy. That said I have pretty much stopped buying it.

William Fevre (and sister company Bouchard) have been using DIAM corks for well over 10 years with 1er Cru wines from 2007 and Grand Cru wines from 2010.

They have also modified their SO2 usage as part of their research into premox and its eradication from their portfolio of wines. My continuous experience of their wines suggest.they have been successful

Scott, any wine sealed with cork can oxidize before its time, including red wines. Just last weekend we had a 2006 Cecile Tremblay Feusselottes, 2001 Clos de Tart and a 1999 Moillard Malconsorts, all well advanced or in the case of the Tremblay fully oxidized. It was a bad weekend for oxidation as a 2007 Raveneau MdT was oxy and we sent back two bottles of 2010 Ramonet Ruchottes.

I think we don’t bring up red wine problems, as there isn’t the colour tell and there’s stronger tannins. We sometimes excuse the wine as been flat, dumb or dull. Getting back to whites, I have had prematurely oxidised white wine from most of the regions of the world and Champagne. It was a massive problem here in Australia in the 90’s for Riesling and Semillon in particular. On mass, the industry switched to screwcap in the early noughties. Problem solved.

The problem is not white Burgundy or Chardonnay!