TN: 2011 Christophe Billon Côte-Rôtie Les Elotins

As the gf had caught the flu and I had some rather nice steaks lined up for yesterday I needed to reach for the few decent half-bottles in my cellar. I had no previous experience with this producer but I figured a 2011 Côte-Rôtie just might be drinkable in this size. Drinkable it was and most definitely enjoyable as well but ideally one would wait another 5-10 years with this one. I think the quality here is good and stylewise it is quite close to my alley, even if I could do without the oaky notes. At 21 € per half a very useful wine for occasions like this. I would love to hear what other Northern Rhône fans here think about this producer and their different cuvées.

• 2011 Christophe Billon Côte-Rôtie Les Elotins - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (20.1.2019)
    From a half-bottle, popped and poured. Pretty, savory blackberry fruit, wet leaves, olives, black pepper and some tobacco on the nose. Some oak as well which might disturb the most extreme purists. On the palate medium-bodied, dry and savory with quite a tangy edge. Markedly red-fruited with a very bright character. Despite displaying some woody tones this is definitely on the more feminine side at first but with time fills up, gaining both concentration and muscle. I really dig the acidity and the moderate, uplifting tartness on the finish. The last glass makes it very clear how young this still is - not muted or angular but in some ways quite primary.

Posted from CellarTracker

I haven’t popped any yet but have just been buying since 15. JLL seems to indicate quality has risen quite a bit lately so I thought I’d give them a try. The oak treatment does worry me a bit, but his notes don’t scream overdone either. Thanks for the note on the 11.

I put away a 2015 but haven’t tried it. Thanks for the comments on this vintage. Glad that some one is bringing over more producers from the AOC.

Alrighty, please do post a TN when you start popping those bottles in 2030+ :slight_smile:

We picked up a bottle of the 2015 at a store then took it to a Restaurant (Otium) knowing it would be too young but what the heck. Incidently the 2015 Vin de Pays is very enjoyable at this time.

2015 Christophe Billon Côte-Rôtie Les Elotins - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (12/11/2018)
Fairly dark red. Tight concentrated nose, BlackBerry, earth, and some pepper but not jumping out of the glass, Delicious concentrated fruit and lots of tannins.

Needs time. (90 pts.)

I would expect any vintage to be rather challenging at age 3 but one like 2015 surely even way more than most others. You are a brave man!

Thanks for kicking off some discussion on this producer, not much insight available on this domaine. I picked up a couple of the 2015 Cote Rozier recently, also largely on the back of the JLL notes: am always keen to try new producers who stay in the ‘reasonable’ pricing range for CR… am expecting these wines to be modern leaning, but am ok with that: I actually find there are times and situations when a more glossy, yes even oaky style fits the moment well. There are other occasions for geeking out on the wilder, more savoury Syrah style!

Oh, and yes will post note on the Cote Rozier in a decade or so!

Interesting, a producer total new to me.

[cheers.gif] I read that that wine used to be part of Les Elotins but since the 2015 vintage makes its own cuvée. I wonder how this might have affected Les Elotins.

I’ve had a few of the 2007. It was a very nice drink and although I don’t have a formal note it was drinking very well. This leads me to believe 2007 is not a great vintage in N. Rhone but both bottles I had hit the aged N. Rhone spot for me. These were drunk in the last 1-2 years. Somewhat restrained but delicious none the less. I have more recent vintages but am holding off. May open a 2011 soon. If so I will post a note.

Probably not great indeed but personally I am more and more in the “good producers make good wine” camp as long as we are not talking about truly horrible vintages which are rare. Lately I have been struggling a lot more with an atypical vintage like 2015 than lesser vintages that have produced perhaps unexceptional yet classic and approachable wines. I think drinkability is a huge part of N. Rhône Syrah’s charm.