Aged riesling?

I have little experience with aged riesling and yesterday I opened a 2005 spatlese.I was surprised that the color was deep golden like an aged sauternes.Is this normal.It did not taste oxidized.

Yes. The 80’s and early 90’s Alsace versions that I had in more recent times had relatively deep golden color.

Normal. Different rieslings gain color as they age and it’s not really predictable. For example, many Spatleses tend to get more golden. German Eiswein and BAs/TBAs sometimes turn amber or brown and are still vibrant and delicious.

Normal. Riesling can age a VERY long time. Sugar drops as it ages and it gains complexity. I like a lot of younger Rieslings, but very generally speaking, I prefer Spats after age 10 (and preferably, after 15), though vintage and producer dependent.

I wouldn’t say it’s normal without knowing the producer/region.

Not sure I can age Riesling long enough, years ago visiting Ernie Loosen we shared a 1961 Urziger Wurzgarten Kabinett…looked about 10 years old, tasted about 25 years old, was really closer to 50 years old.

normal. Im with Kris in that i think its almost hard to age Riesling too long when it’s done well. 2005 is still a baby

If you want aged Rieslings search 1959, 2972, 1975, 1976
2005 has to wait 10 years

Really depends on the specific wine, but age does darken the color.

Richard, you’re absolutely right. This is normal. Here is a photo of a 2005 I opened about 2 weeks ago
C6B0B905-3E70-410A-B500-8E1B5D7176BE.jpeg

Hmm, I wouldn’t call the wine in that photo deep golden. It does look about what I’d expect from something around 2005. If Richard’s wine was significantly darker, I’d call that abnormal.

I agree. Certainly, a good spotless will age very well and darken with age, but a 2005 should not look like an aged Sauternes.

Stupid auto correct or voice text!

Yeah, I love aged Rieslings, I can share a bit of what folks are talking about, I hope*

They take on a honeyed meed like complexion, rich, unctuous, some of the best experiences I’ve ever had. Oldest I drank was a 1939, think that was back in 2008, so they can go yard.

Edited, The last picture, I realized was mixed in. That was more golden though I do not have any pics. It had life, good acidity, and a fair level of fruit. The different the BA/TBAs and Kabinett is that the BAs/TBAs hold on longer while open, they open and stay open longer despite age. The lighter offerings like the latter bottle in the pics, that opened, was solid for a few hours then quickly fell off and started to flatten out. If maintained, Spatlese, Kabinett, they can hold up for decades. That last bottle I opened in 08 with some friends as a place in NYC called Fabio Piccolo Fiore, and the Somm was amazed at the clarity and life it held.

Agree with both these comments. Also with the view expressed above that a good 2005 Spätlese is hardly old at all.

So it does sounds a bit odd to me, but if it tasted good that is the main thing.

Yes, normal, but it depends very much on

• vintage
  • region (was it German, Austrian, Alsace?)
  • dry, off-dry?
  • style … producer … sulfur amount etc.

I´ve also seen Rieslings 30+ years old that were quite bright in colour.
(… and a 2005 SL is not really very aged …)

+1

Picture?

Too late .It’s in my stomach but it was a Selbach Oster 2005 Bernkastler Badstub spatlese.Looked rather like Rich’s old wine above.

Too late .It’s in my stomach but it was a Selbach Oster 2005 Bernkastler Badstube spatlese.Looked rather like Rich’s old wine above.