TN: 2016 Azienda Agricola Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo Toscana IGT

Year in year out this is one of the best buys in Tuscan wine, especially if the red-fruited, thoroughly savory and food-friendly-as-hell style is what one is after. I had been wondering about my better half’s recent alarmingly low level of enthusiasm for wine and thus was happy/relieved to see that as long as it is the right bottle she still more than happily downs her share of it. Note to self: stock up.

• 2016 Azienda Agricola Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (27.1.2019)
    Tight and austere on PnP, this settled down and opened up rather nicely during ~1,5 hours in the decanter and drank very well (and fast) over the dinner. Classic Chianti all the way: red sour cherries and dust with hints of leather and tar on the nose. On the palate medium-bodied and impressively bright with high acidity, markedly savory in character. By no means too primary yet hugely drinkable and lip-smackingly delicious. Second to none when it comes to authenticity and of really high quality.

Posted from CellarTracker

thanks for the early note…have a few sitting around

I was not planning to open one so soon myself but as I hinted at popping a Burgundy the response was rather direct “I would prefer anything from Tuscany.”. [snort.gif]

Still awfully nice after three years or so.

• 2016 Azienda Agricola Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (18.1.2022)
    Wonderfully bright, high pitch sour cherry swarms from the glass with dusty, minerally and ever so slightly herbaceous notes. Markedly pure and unadulterated. On the palate medium-bodied and on the lean side with great tension and grip. Very much acid-driven but not austere. Very youthful and structured but with confit de canard just full of joy and pleasure with immense drinkability. Really excellent rendition of this wine and, as always, a textbook example of traditional Sangiovese.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for checking in and sharing an update. I had this back in April of 2021 off the list at a restaurant and picked up a few bottles. I’ll probably give mine some more time but agree it’s a terrific wine and shines with food.