Where's the good, cheap Sangio?

I love classically styled Sangiovese with pizza or pastas with tomato-based sauces. Yes, a shockingly novel pairing, I know, but my issue is that all the Chianti Classicos I used to love for weeknight pizzas (Fontodi, Montervertine Pian del Ciampolo, Querciabella, Isole e Olena, etc.) have all climbed into the mid-$20s to mid-$30s range. Mamma mia! What’s a guy to do when he wants some midweek marinara and an affordable glass of dusty, tangy red to go with it?! All the supermarket Chianti is repugnant to me, as I need those juicy, savory, herbaceous flavors, not oaked-up plonk.

What are your go-to QPR ($15-$25) Sangioveses that deliver the old-school Chianti goodness that I seek? Appreciate the recommendations.

Cheers,

Bill Moore

Montesecondo and Monsanto are both still under $20.

Castellare di Castellina is probably my favorite in this category. Their base Classico is around $20.

Go north. The best in Colli Fiorentini are great and cheap. Go north of the apennines to the hills of Romagna. The wines are dead cheap. Quality has improved drastically the last 5 years and no one notices. So they will continue to be cheap.

Apologies for the thread drift but has anyone else been disappointed in the more recent vintages of Monsanto?

Since I haven’t bought in recent years I’d be interested in the answer to this as well.

Yeah, I used to enjoy Monsanto on the regular but recent vintages have left me nonplussed. Although to be fair, could also signify my palate has shifted.

Altesino rosso di montalcino

1 Like

You should look at Rosso di Montalcino…There are many in the $18-$25 range that are tasty. In good vintages they can compare to their bigger brother Brunello

+1 on the Castellare di Castellina and the Altesino rosso. Steady buys for our house for regular tomato based food consumption.

I’m plowing through cases of 2015 Basilica Cafaggio Estate Chianti Classico for $10 at Costco now (at least in Dallas). It’s a great value. I bought it for cooking (when they ran out of the $7 Kirkland Chianti Classico Riserva), and thereby accidentally discovered how great it was when sampling it to make sure I wasn’t about to pour a corked bottle into my dish!

I also like Castellare di Castellina & Monsanto, both mentioned above. Why not Felsina, which is much less expensive than Fontodi, and to me a bit lighter and more transparent in character than Fontodi. Similarly, the Selvapiana Chianti Classico is great (although I prefer to upgrade to the $34-ish Selvapiana ‘Bucerchiale’ Riserva, which is one of the best once it’s got 5-6 years of age on it!)…Another good one is Rodano Chianti Rufina, for about $17-$20.

The Tenuta di Nozzole Chianti Classico Riserva is good and is only about $19. Also Castello d’Albola is solid (maybe not as good as the others above, depending on vintage) and almost always available at Costco for about $13.

1 Like

Castellina is great, so is Felsina’s base Chianti is solid for around 20-24, though I normally just get the riserva cause it’s only a few dollars more usually, though it’s less widely distributed. While you’re right that most decent Chianti’s have climbed north for 20$ these days, quality has generally climbed as well.

I haven’t. What do you consider recent, and at what age do you like to buy them? I just ran out of 2010s (sadly) and am onto '12s having apparently not bought 2011s. I’ve read very strong reviews of '15, and I’ve very much enjoyed the '15s I’ve had from elsewhere in Italy, so I expect I’ll grab at least a case when I see it at Costco. Assuming I see it at Costco, which is where I usually buy this. In any case, I don’t find these to be very interesting at all a few years after release but they seem to blossom at about 6 years or so from vintage.

I came to this thread to say Monsanto. It’s one of my go-to pizza wines. Felsina Classico is still under $20 as well.

2012-2014, haven’t seen the 2015 yet but will certainly take a flyer on one based on the positive reviews you’re seeing. Will definitely consider grabbing a couple to age as well, thx for tip.

Happy with Monsanto’s 2014 CCR at <17 purchase price.

Nothing to add on the sangiovese side. For alternatives, I had 2017 Elena Walch Lagrein from Alto Adige last year and it as lovely for $17: https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/elena+walch+lagrein/2017/usa

Wouldn’t say the wine is as high toned as your typical chianti, but worked quite well with Italian style pizzas.

In the Seattle area, have been able recently to get the 2016 Felsina CC for $14/bottle, and the 2016 San Felice CC for $15. Both are solid “Wednesday night with pizza” QPR partners.

Michael

I’m a big fan of Felsina for the $$.

Interested on good sangiovese, as well.

Anything from Umbria?

Altadonna makes a very red fruited, fresh Chianti Classico. Their Riserva isn’t interesting to me as I prefer the vibrant fruit of the standard bottling. Also, it’s dirt cheap.