TN: 2007 Tablas Creek Tannat (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2007 Tablas Creek Tannat - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/5/2010)
    My first Tannat and what a wonderful surprise. Nose booms with cinnamon and pepper/spice. Nice, hint of sweet chewy tannins that build with air. Suave texture that has weight and a little dexterity. Nice depth to the licorice black and blue fruits. Sweetness to the fruit that just doesn’t cross the line for me. Finishes with a repeat of the pepper/spice. I would have guessed Syrah if I drank this blind. Another very well made and interesting wine from Tablas Creek for me. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

very cool, tim … thanks for posting your TN. i’m also a big fan of TC’s Tannat (and most varieties they work with) … I have a sole '04 I’m stilling sitting on.

I saw a score for MM’s Homage roll by on CT from you today – how was it? (Besides “89”) [tease.gif]

1 Like

2007 Tablas Creek Tannat - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (11/10/2020)
– decanted 90 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 to 3 hours –

NOSE: a bit fumey and “dark”; raisins; a bit earthy; not funky; not high-toned; medium to medium+ expressiveness.

BODY: medium-full bodied; sediment present; only the slightest bit of bricking — this still has a youthful appearance.

TASTE: still tannic; medium to medium+ acidity; moderately hot (labelled at 15.0%); earthy/dusty purple fruit; very ripe, with some noticeable oak; not funky; not stemmy; honestly, I can’t say this has improved with age. This bottle was cellared by me since 2010, when I purchased it at the winery.

50, 5, 10, 14, 6 = (85 pts.)

My note from 2010, when tasted at the winery:
2007 Tablas Creek Tannat - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (8/2/2010)
A day in Paso (Denner, Tablas Creek, Graves …): – tasted a single glass, non-blind in tasting room ––
– 90% Tannat, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon –

Purple color of great depth. The nose on this is dark-fruited and simple. Full bodied palate, and tannic. Loganberry with hints of leather and flowers on the palate. I liked this more than ‘06 vintage of this bottling.

I had a 2003 a month or two ago that I’d had since release. It wasn’t really that good, and I probably should have opened it 5-10 years ago. It had become heavy, porty, hot, lacking freshness.

I have an 06 and 08 I should probably find some use for.

I usually default to burgers, ribs, or BBQ when I have a big red and don’t have specific plan for it.

Can I recommend a Bodega Garzon Tannant from Uruguay?

That was the best Tannant I’ve tasted. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

But to my surprise tonight, the 2006 Tablas Creek Tannat showed well. Still some freshness to the dark purple berry fruit, graphite, medium acids.

I don’t think this really gained complexity with age, maybe a bit more restraint and balance, but anyway it held up well to this age. I’d probably say 90 using the conventional scale.

Opened a 2006 tonight and had it with lamb burgers. My notes are similar to OP’s note for the 07. Licorice, blueberry, Good mouth feel. Very pleasant.

I read the notes on the bottle. They said Tannat was a basque grape from the Pyrenees. Are there Basque Tannat wines.? I’ve only heard of Tablas Creek’s version.