RIP board member Lou Kessler

Just wanted to relay the sad information that Lou Kessler passed away this morning. I know a number of folks here will know his name and may have interacted with him on this board and previously on the Parker Board, Robin Garr’s Wine Lover’s Discussion Group and on Wine Therapy/Wine Disorder.

Lou and I first got to know each other via the interwebz on the Wine Lover’s Discussion Group around 1997 and met in NY for the first time in '98. He and BettyLu’s yearly trips to NY after that were always a highlight of my year, as were the times they’d host and fete me with wonderful wine dinners when I’d visit them in Napa.

RIP, Lou. You were a real mensch and I know you’ll be drinking well with Dressner, Dougherty and Coad at the great big jeeb in the sky. My condolences to BL and his family.

One of my favorite pics of him and fellow Berserker, Marshall Gelb, at a dinner for me at their house in 2007. We were making fun of Marshall’s shirt and Lou said, “Hold on just a minute! I think I have that shirt in my closet!”
IMG_0080.JPG

RIP indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

RIP from me too - recall his posts and exploits on WLDG.
You mentioned Coad at the big jeeb in the sky; I had no idea Chris had passed away too. One of the greatest TN writers / jeeb documenters.

RIP Lou - this is sad…

Yes, Chris tragically had a heart attack on July 4th of 2017. Way too young and he was indeed one of the best wine writers out there.

So sorry.

A loss to the community. My thoughts are with his family.

Brad, I’m sorry to hear that you lost a close friend. It’s hard to lose anyone that we care for, but it’s even harder when they’re someone that we share a common passion with. Hopefully there will be bottles you’ll open from time to time that will remind you of Lou and the great memories you two had with others. While having never met Lou, he sounds like a special person and it seems like the two of you shared some great moments punctuated by a glass of wine or three. Wishing you and everyone that knew Lou all the best…

The tales of the dinners put on by Lou and BL were always highlights for the wine boards.

It’s very sad to hear of Lou’s passing. No matter when it’s always too soon.

Only the rocks live forever.
Therefore it matters not how long we live but how.

To a guy who knew how.

Best, Jim

One of the greatest things about Lou was how he could navigate through all of the factions of the wine world and seemingly get along with everyone. Something we could all learn from.

so sorry for your loss.

I remember the tales of his dinners quite well and always enjoyed them. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

condolences to his family and friends.

Sorry to hear this and thanks for letting us know. If you are in touch with his family, please pass out condolences on, and that he’ll be warmly remembered here.

RIP Lou. I’ll open a Heitz for him. I know it was one of his and Betty Lou’s favorites.

Sorry for your loss Brad.

Sorry to hear this. I always admired Lou. Condolences to his family and friends.

Sorry to hear this as well.

JD

man, this is a bummer to read. RIP Lou.