FedEx question

FedEx allows the option of delivering packages to a neighborhood dropoff point as an alternate to your residence or workplace. For those who have done this, does that work well? Do you know if the packages are delivered to the dropoff before the driver makes the other deliveries, or is it afterwards?

I’m curious about how well this works in case I need to redirect a wine shipment if I am not going to be home that day. Thanks for your input!

It’s worked well for me. Judging from the time stamps I’ve gotten, I’ve assumed that they did their drop offs at the local sites when they are in the neighborhood, rather than before or after, but I can’t be sure

Works really well for me. Biggest problem is waiting in line at the counter: Some locations are busier than others.
I don’t think you can read too much into the dropoff schedule. It seems to vary.

I’ve done this a few times and it seems to be towards the end of the day for my place, probably when Fedex is making their scheduled pickup. Mine is a Pak-n-Ship place so this might be different for other drop off spots that aren’t a shipping store.

I find the local Fedex/Kinkos to be better for me as their hours are later than the Pak-n-Ship. I use a UPS Store for UPS shipments. If you send a UPS shipment to a Fedex/Kinkos they reject it and it gets sent back to the vineyard :frowning:

I have fedex deliver to a Kinkos. It is wonderful. It is usually later in the day because they are picking up at the location. But I know it is in a safe environment and I can go late at night or the next day.

Thank you all!

There’s a drop off in my local drug store. Very convenient and they’re open late.

If it’s at a Fedex office it seems to typically be when they do a pick up (so end of day).

But it’s really convenient. Just gotta wait around for them to look for it.

Big +1
I’m fortunate to have a 24 hour Kinkos about 2 miles from the house. Been sending all my wine there for years now. West Coast shipments that leave on Mon get into GA Thurs night and are delivered to my kinkos around noon on Friday. T

Just to follow up on the UPS to Fedex problem. I usually do a follow up verification that they ARE SHIPPING FEDEX if I’m sending it to a Fedex/Kinkos. I’ve had a couple of occasions where the checkout says Fedex Ground but they shipped it UPS ground and once it’s reject by Fedex you can’t get it rerouted so it goes all the way back to the shipper. The advantage of the UPS Store is they take everything but they charge $5 per box for pickup fee.

huh, I’ve regularly have wine redirected to fedex office with no issues. I’ve never used other drop points for wine shipments. I wasnt sure if it was ok.

Use it regularly - always with success. I’d rather not go to the store, but given I’m not home when FedEx delivers (which is less predictable as to time than UPS for me), it’s great. Adds 5 minutes to my drive home.

Seems to get to my store earlier than it would my house (usually mid-morning) but YMMV. And doesn’t matter - I have it by the end of the day.

FEDEX has partnered with Rite Aid/Walgreens drug stores. I have 6 different drug stores within 2 miles of my house. I redirect shipments to these stores. Usually arrive in store by 4:00PM.

For both FedEx and UPS I have wine delivered to the local shipping center packages come into. It is a bit longer drive to pickup, but deliveries don’t leave the facility on a local truck, so typically available first thing in the morning.

Thank you all for your responses. Someone shipped wine to me yesterday when I had specifically requested it be sent on a Tuesday (so it arrives on Thursday when I know I will be home) so I wanted to get your input before asking it to be redirected to a dropoff location.

After your account is established you can redirect online yourself.
I can see when a shipping label was created long before the package is picked up and on it’s way.

Oooh - interesting. We have one a couple blocks away. How does it work with those? At the fedex store they have a cage for boxes. Not sure our walgreens has such a space . . .

The Walgreens I use keep the boxes in different places. The store acts as the FEDEX driver. They scan the packages when you pickup. You need to supply photo ID and sign for it.
They will not release if last name and address on ID do not match package.

I’ve had to use our local Walgreen’s a couple of times when I was at risk of missing a delivery. They just have a space in the stock room where they stack FedEx deliveries. It’s not caged off or otherwise separated from other store stock. It also seems to be lightly used (at least as of a few months ago). The first clerk that I spoke with when I went in to pick up a delivery didin’t know what I was talking about. He got a manager, and my package was quickly located and in my hands.

I’d use Walgreen’s when I know I’d be able to pick up the package the same day, or at worst, the next day. If it would be any longer, I’d use one of the local FedEx stores. That’s not as convenient, but it seems to me the deliveries are more secure and there’s less risk of my 6 pack of Hillside Select ending up going home with the wrong person.

I often reroute to my local Walgreens. It’s a lot easier than having it shipped to my wife’s work address, and they’ll hold it for 5 days.