2016 Screaming Eagle offer

This year’s offer for 2016 Screaming Eagle is out. $3150 for a 3-pack, and that’s the same as last year. I’m happy to see no increase, especially since it sounds like there won’t a 2017 SE …

Wow. Does anyone actually drink these or just flip?

People do drink them. I’ve been fortunate enough to have the wine several times. It’s almost, in my opinion, similar to high-end champagne: celebrating an anniversary, close a big deal? Break out the Screagle

But how does it compare to other high end cabs ? is it a step above ?

I have heard whispered rumors of people opening these. In closed circles of course.

A number of years back (2004 or 2005ish), one of my wine groups had an ultra-high-end wine dinner that included the likes of SE, Harlan, Colgin, Maya, Bryant, etc. All but one (not corked, but slightly off, which was noticeable given the company) of the bottles was outstanding, and my favorite of the group was indeed the SE. Not by much, mind you, and my feeling was that for the price, I’d rather have 2-4 of the other bottles than 1 of the SE.

Tasted non-blind, which could have had some influence, but I recall most of the table’s controversy was about the ranking order of bottles #2 through the rest of them.

In my opinion, it is a very well-made wine that is surprising restrained for a “cult cab.” I have only had it much younger than I would describe as it’s “optimal drinking window.” Would love to try with fifteen or so years of bottle age.

SE in the old days (all the cults well under $200) won every blind tasting for me. The finish was very long and elegant and mixed feminine and masculine attributes. Fascinating and addictive. Like Mozart versus the other cults’ very fun rock and roll. I don’t know if it’s changed as wine makers change and in light of what must be the enormous temptation to increase acreage used. (Caymus SS was five barrels in 1985 and is reputed to be 4000 cases now, including some supposedly sent straight overseas, in no sense the same wine it was, and I can’t blame them).

Yes people drink SE, and plenty sell, and many do both. I dont know how much better it is but i would say it is unique when compared to other cults - all of the depth but the feminine side George mentions (on the palate and especially the nose). Not generally hard to select in a blind tasting on the nose alone.

I had the '97 in 2013. It was superb, and as others describe here as surprisingly restrained, superbly balanced, and almost feminine in its elegance. I’ll probably never have it again, but I wouldn’t trade away that singular experience and can understand why someone with more money than me would buy and drink it regularly.

My buddy, who has been on the list since the '94 vintage, has popped a few of these with me. The last time was just a couple of months ago. He opened the '06 SE, Harlan, and Colgin IX. I brought the '82 and '83 Margaux…it was a nice night!! The Margaux crushed the more expensive cults. The Colgin was the unanimous fav of the cults, with the SE being #2. You know you’re drinking well when a Harlan finishes last. 12 years ago we had a legendary tasting of all the top '96 Bordeaux and Cali Cab’s. The SE was one of the top wines. The other vintage of SE I’ve had was the '00, which was really nice and the best wine I’ve had for the vintage from California. BTW, he’s never sold a bottle of SE…

Wonder where he got the 2000…as they never released it?

Really? I’m pretty sure it was the '00? Might have been the '98. I remember it being impressive for an “off” vintage. This age shit is bothersome…

They made the 2000 but never released it because Jean didn’t like the quality. There are/were bottles out there…so it would be a very rare “bird” if you had it! [cheers.gif]

The amount of money one has to have to give no thought - to open a bottle to share with friends.

It is not a bottle that I’ve promised myself to drink before it is too late in my life .

That would be Ch. Latour, Margaux, a few Burgundies,
I remember a good client with that kind of money opened a bottle for me,
while I was at his restaurant in Singapore.

And yes, it is really special, unique, silky, etc…
mostly I remember thinking that I was drinking Jam. A fine Jam.

Unlike French wine which has layers or depth this was an amazing fruit bomb.
Staggering purity,

I have the opposite buddy. He’s been on the list since the '92 vintage, and has sold every bottle he’s received. Except for a lone bottle of the '92, which he and I drank circa 2002. As others have said, it had a distinctive feminine quality given its relative power.

We drank it at a French place that had a large cellar of European wines going back 40+ years. One of the co-owners opened it for us and he had no idea what it was. Or at least he made no comment. Got a kick out of that given we were an hour from Napa.

I’ve had 3 different vintages of this. I don’t find it any better than any other high-end Cabernet. It’s all hype to me.

why no 2017?

Smoke taint?

Please, that rumor about smoke taint in 2017 is clearly a non issue. At least if you listen to the wrong sources.