2001 Beaucastel blanc - last 2 bottles were dead, should I do something different with bottle 3

I would expect a 2001 Beaucastel blanc to still be drinking well, if you appreciate older wines. I’ve opened 2 of them within the last few months, and they’ve both been considerably oxidized. I’m opening my last bottle tonight. Would a slow o, or some other trick benefit this wine.

Am I wrong to expect a 2001 Beaucastel blanc to still be drinking well. I thought CDP whites aged well? The cellartraker notes on this wine would also indicate that it’s over the hill. Is this an exception, or the norm?

Premox

Had a discussion about a similar wine recently. How long did you hang with it after opening the first two times? My guess - the wine needed some oxygen and time to ‘come together’. Also, have you had aged white Rhones before? They certainly will be ‘nutty’ and if not familiar with them, they may appear more ‘oxidized’ than they actually are.

Cheers

Larry is correct. Not saying your bottles were not poxed but…white Rhones can be funny animals and their aging characteristics can be rather unique. It is very common for them to go into an extended weird stage though I would think a 2001 would have come out of that by now. Also, maybe it needed extended aeration. I would not give up too quickly but, poxed is poxed at the end of the day. Best on luck on #3.

I opened one a couple years ago that was in a great spot, although it certainly had some oxidative character. As others have noted, it’s part of the nature of the beast with aged white Rhones.

-Al

I’ve had both premoxed Beaucastel blancs and bottles that were in that weird pseudo-oxidative state that can come around with more exposure to air or more years in the cellar. In my experience the premoxed ones tend to be much darker in color. I’ve been told that’s not a 100% reliable indicator, but I’ve never seen a dark brown one come to life with extended aeration.

If your remaining bottles are brown, I would be concerned but would still give them a shot. Just be sure you’re in a setting where you can give them a few hours after opening and/or have a backup.

Unfortunately it seems this is how the regular Beaucastel Blanc behaves now (after introduction of Roussanne VV). My bottles from the mid-90s were all oxidizing by age 10-15. I have a few left that I’m afraid to open.

which beaucastel blanc should be expected to age better? the blanc or the roussanne?

The Roussanne.

Not even a question, the VV.

Can’t say I am surprised the CDP Blancs are oxidized or showing a predominant oxidized character.

Agree that the VV Roussanne ages better, but I’ve even had VVs that have premoxed.

this was my thought too. for an upcoming dinner I had a choice between an 01 Blanc and a 98 Roussane that was $5 more… seemed like the right choice lol

What’s different about these wines (from the same vintage) from a science perspective that makes one more susceptible to oxidation than the other?

Probably an unanswerable question since the pre-mox problem in Burgundy hasn’t been definitively solved yet.

The skeptic and simpleton in me makes me wonder if the VV just has a more intense flavor profile that helps mask the oxidation profile?

I think its cepage + parcel, The VV is a small plot of 100 year old Roussanne while the CdP is Roussanne and other whites, the other whites being not as ageable and my assumption is the 80% Roussanne is not coming from that 100 year old plot. The CdP is not built to age like the Roussanne VV

They are some of the difficult beasts of the wine world, IMHO. We just opened a 2003 a couple nights ago. While it was showing characteristic honeycream feel and proper flavours, it was really, really soft, and I much preferred a 2006 drunk 2.5 years ago. Could have been the vintage in this case. In no way was the bottle poxed or over the hill or otherwise flawed.

Mike

I had the same issue with the 2001 Beaucastel Rousaane VV this year. Acquired two bottles at auction - the first was heavily oxidized - the second was better though still quite advanced. In reading the CT notes from other tasters (should have done before I hit the bid button:-)) it looks like this is a pretty common problem for the '01 Beaucastel VV as well. I am wondering if it has to do with the vintage? I have had other older bottles different vintages that have been fine.

Exact same wine, actually. TN: 2001 Château de Beaucastel - Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

So I take it we should drink these before 10 yr mark just to be on the safe side?

Did you buy them recently or had them for a while?

you’d think that would be helpful, but 7 of the last 10 notes on mine were made by what appears to be a single poster, drinking a single bottle of '98 VV, over 3 years.