IsaacBaker: Colorado Wines

Nice review by IsaacBaker on WineTerroirist of the Govener’sCup sampler case:
IsaacBaker:COWines
I’ve had the Teroldego and the Syrah and thought he was right-on.

Our very own KyleSchlaccter is one of the big promoters of CO wine, as part of his job at CO Dept of Agriculture. He, in large part, is responsible to getting these wines out for people to try.
Alas, Kyle has been kinda scarce in this here part of CyberSpace known as WB. Sometimes, real life and your day job intrudes from the more important life here on WB!!
Tom

I still lurk occasionally… [wink.gif]

The 2022 double gold winning wines have been announced. They now will compete for the Governor’s Cup in November.

See the complete list at the bottom.

https://coloradowine.com/governors-cup/

1 Like

We poured for the judges again this year.

The winner will be announced on November 4th at Uncorked Colorado event in downtown Denver.

3 Likes

That looks fun, thanks for sharing! We’ll have to search for some of these to try. Unfortunately we’ll be out of town for the public tasting.

1 Like

Not sure if Aquila Cellars submits for the competition, but if they do, surprised they didn’t win any awards.

I am pretty into the Colorado wine scene on the Western Slope and have never heard of them. Not much online regarding them. What are their wines like?

1 Like

Have not seen their wine in the Governor’s Cup competition.
Will have a look for there wine next time I’m at one of the shops in Denver that they distribute to.

2 Likes

Ready to drink, natural, good food wines. If you ever make it over to Bin 707 they usually have some of their bottles available.

The value proposition isn’t there, but as you know that’s Colorado as it works towards being a more established wine region.

1 Like

I may try and scoop one up for our next get together.

2 Likes

We go to Bin so I will look for them.
One of the West Elk’s better producers, The Storm Cellar and their cocktail side gig Flora and Holly did a takeover night at Bin 707 last Spring and it was phenomenal. I hear they plan to do it again.

Seems like there are several solid producers that didn’t participate. I really enjoy Aquila, Jack Rabbit Hill is solid, and the Ordinary Fellow (though OF only makes one CO wine, but it’s a very good Riesling). Stoked to see Slaymaker Meads getting some recognition, as they are really good even if Mead isn’t something I reach for very often.

1 Like

How do you know if they didn’t participate?

Surprised to see storm cellar and sauvage spectrum fare so low. Mesa park equilibre is really good. Well deserved winner.

1 Like

I don’t see any of them in any of the results. Didn’t look particularly hard, though.

I think there are over 280 wines entered and only a few dozen medal winners.

That’s kind of nice IMO, it shows that the judging was selective.

I have been following the Colorado wine scene kind of briefly over the past decade or so and have very rarely been let down by wine I’ve had from the state.

We try to visit Creekside Cellars every time we’re in CO as it’s in such a beautiful area and has fantastic wine.

Shows my lack of research! My bad. Either way, I believe they are worthwhile wines, even if they didn’t place in any of the competitions.

Lots of great wines coming out of Colorado. Just takes a little searching. I love the Jack Rabbit Hill wines, and their distilled spirits are also very good.