JebDunnuck:StoloVnyds

Interesting article on JebDunnuck’s page by R.H.Drexel about Stolo Vnyds:
Jeb:StoloVnyds
in which he discovers the StoloWnry just outside Cambria, just a mile or so from the Pacific.
He, rightfully so, highlights their Syrah, which is one of Calif’s exceptional c-c Syrahs. I would guess the Stolo Vnyd is the coldest Syrah vnyd in Calif.
In the 2017 vintage, DarrenDelmore/TCV was able to buy some of their Syrah fruit and made an exceptional Syrah from those grapes. Alas, already sold out.
Tom

R.H. Drexel is female.

Yup, Levi. I just had Jeb on my mind when I wrote the post…forgetting that she was the author.
Tom

I ordered a few of those '16 Stolo syrahs (damn you Tom)!

The thought of a really good Cambria syrah was too much to resist.

Thanks for the mention Tom! I vividly recall the day you turned up at Tablas with a few “fun” wines for Jason Haas and I to try, which included a Forlorn Hope Picpoul and my first taste of a Stolo Vineyard Syrah. After working with Syrah from Bassi Ranch in Avila and a couple tries at Spanish Springs Vineyard in Pismo, Mike Sinor urged me to reach out to Nicole Pope and see about getting some Stolo fruit for my first legal release. I buy a ton of Alban clone from Stolo, and in 2017 it ripened on October 30th, and in 2018 the same block ripened beautifully on November 14th! I love it, especially with a small amount of co-fermented viognier and neutral french barrels for the resting. Denner buys a bit of 470 clone from Stolo for Dirt Worshipper, but Nicole uses the rest and makes some distinctive bottles out of it. Their winery is scenic and really worth a visit for anyone coming to Paso seeking some old world flair.

**Thanks again, Tom (and Darren!)

I just found an interview with Nicole Pope of Stolo Vineyards…**

California Winery Advisor
“Winemaker Interview: Nicole Bertotti Pope of Stolo Vineyards”
CWA Staff
August 2018

"…CWA - ‘Can you tell us about the vineyard in Cambria? How does the local environment impact your winemaking?’

NP - ‘Stolo Vineyards is a 23-acre estate, located just under 3 miles from the coastline, directly east of downtown Cambria. We have a mix of plantings from 1998 to 2012, as well soil variations from rocky limestone hillsides to loamy clay areas mixed with river stones. Growing grapes in this extreme maritime climate allows us to produce wines that are delicate and lower in alcohol, as well as intensely aromatic and complex…without manipulations. The climate helps me to achieve balance in the wines, which I am constantly striving for.’…”