Forbes - "Cole Ranch" for Sale: America's Smallest AVA

Mendocino County’s Cole Ranch AVA is comprised of 60 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling, Pinot Noir and Merlot vineyards over ~150 acres. The Riesling appears to be the star of the show.

According to the following article from Forbes Magazine, customers of the AVA’s fruit have included Blackstone, Fetzer, Jordan, Tobin James, V. Sattui, and Vision Cellars. Esterlina Vineyards bought the property from the site’s namesake.

Here on the WB forum, recent discussions about the “Cole Ranch” have centered on bottlings from Bedrock Wine Company and Desire Lines.

Forbes
“America’s Smallest Wine Appellation Is For Sale”
by Jill Barth
February 21, 2019

"There are entire vineyards larger than the totality of Cole Ranch AVA in Mendocino, California. It’s the smallest American Viticultural Area (AVA) in the country and the whole appellation is for sale—on the market for $3.3 million.

"…Rather than being a shared growing area, [the AVA] was designed to be farmed by a single owner—originally John Cole—the founder of ‘Cole Ranch’.

"…In 1983, ‘Cole Ranch’ was granted AVA status. This was the same year that other notable California AVAs became official, including Los Carneros, Paso Robles and Russian River Valley.

“…So what do you get for $3.3 million? The listing includes 55 acres of vineyards and a vineyard manager’s house. The property encompasses natural spring water, a well, septic system and water rights to an adjacent reservoir. The listing for the property indicates that ‘approximately 130 tons of grapes [were] sold to nearby wineries.’…”

4-Cole-Ranch-1280x853-1200x800.jpg
California Outdoor Properties
Listing for Cole Ranch Appellation

"ADDRESS:
4501 Boonville Road
Ukiah, California

"COORDINATES:
39.0602695 N, 123 W

“LOCATION/DIRECTIONS: From the north, take US- 101 South, head southwest on CA-253. From the south, head northeast on CA-253 toward US-101 North”

Link for Promo Video

Older SF Gate article on the Cole Ranch Appellation:

SF Gate
“The Little Appellation That Could: With Only 189 Acres, Cole Ranch is the Nation’s Tiniest AVA, Proving that Small Can be Beautiful”
by Jon Bonné
February 23, 2007

I know John Cole and I drive by that vineyard every day to work. Fetzer bottled a Cabernet in 1979( I think) and it became rather famous after that. The thing is I don’t think they ever had another great vintage of Cab again. It’s a very frosty site and the Cab took forever to get ripe. I would guess it might be rather warm for Pinot, but that’s just a guess.

I recall that I liked the Riesling from Esterlina when they owned the vineyard.

Cody Rasmussen makes a tasty Riesling from that site under his Desire Lines label.

+1

+1 more. Ridiculously delicious for $22 a bottle