Once & Future March 2019 Release

Coming March 12th.

Oakley Road Mataro / 352 cases
Known in France as Mourvedre, these ancient vines are own-rooted, dry-farmed bush vines planted in the sandy soils of Contra Costa.
Note: Bright vanilla-laced red fruit with hints of earth and spice. Round, full finish.
Oakley Road Zinfandel / 226 cases
Like the Mataro, these vines are ancient own-rooted bush vines.
Note: Full, rich red and black fruit flavors. Big without being heavy. Very refined astringency.

Teldeschi Vineyard “Frank’s Block” Zinfandel / 252 cases
Classic dry-farmed, old vine Zinfandel/mixed black co-fermentation from the oldest block on the Teldeschi Ranch in Dry Creek Valley.
Note: Dark and aromatic. Lots of bright cherry, blackberry, and vibrant flavors combined with a juicy, mouthwatering finish.
Bedrock Vineyard Zinfandel / 226 cases
Vines planted in 1888 on the Agua Caliente Bench of Sonoma Valley.
Note: Very typical Bedrock ripe raspberry, baking spice character with a fresh, mineral-like smooth tannin finish.

Sodini Vineyard Zinfandel / 200 cases
A 1905 planting of Zinfandel/mixed blacks on Limerick Lane on the East side of the Russian River Valley.
Note: Cherry, raspberry, and plum flavors integrated perfectly with a pretty, structured finish.

Palisades Petite Sirah / 201 cases
Dry-farmed, head-pruned, located in a small valley just beneath the Palisades massive in Calistoga.
Note: Deep colored, a fairly massive wine, but not ponderous, with lots of black currents, blackberries, and black pepper in its flavor profile.

Sangiacomo Merlot / 226 cases
Shy-bearing Merlot from the cool climate Sonoma Valley Carneros region.
Note: Full of aromatics reminiscent of fresh plums with hints of green olives and vanilla. Flavorful, bright, and full bodied.

The case quantities are very limited. Each wine is handcrafted in small, open-topped redwood fermenters, fermented with native yeast and indigenous malolactic bacteria. All are aged in small French oak cooperage. These wines are a clear expression of my intent for Once & Future.

Hopefully pricing is similar to last year. I’d like some Mataro, merlot and zin!

The Mataro and the Merlot caught my attention last year.

I have been building up a nice vertical of the PS from O&F, will keep that going and hopefully get some merlot and mataro as well.

I greatly enjoyed the wines of theirs I have tasted, so looking forward to it!

+1, I’ll buy whatever I can afford, just really tough after Carlisle & Bedrock.

I tried to keep my hands off the case of Zins I bought last year, and have done poorly. But 3 each from each of the 4 Zins and think I’m down to one of each.

First one I opened within a couple weeks of shipment was a dud, but the rest have been lights out.

Does anyone know if the petite sirah is from what used to be the vineyard for Carver Sutro?

Thoughts on the Merlot? This is the second release of this, correct?

Turning into Bedrock 2.0 with all these bottlings. I can’t afford this any longer. Drag.

That’s pretty much where my heads at as well. Have been really impressed with the few that I’ve opened so far (shocked how accessible the 14 PS was recently), but will probably only grab a couple Teldeschi zins and maybe a PS.

Ikr? I’m probably going to stick with the Merlot & Bedrock Zin while pretending the rest don’t exist.

O&F needs to make their offer in January when customers have more funds available.

I have not popped the Once & FutureBedrock” Zin or “Palisades” Petite Sirah yet, but the Contra Costa “Oakley Road” Mataro wines are phenomenal!!!

I will try to post a TN of a couple of the wines in the coming days…

[cheers.gif]

I will be a purchaser. I actually dropped off a wine club so that I can allocate those dollars to O&F.

Cheers,
JP

Whats the $$$ price range on these?

Last year, mataro was $35 and merlot was $55. The Zins in the $40 range, I think

2015 Frank’s Block Teldeschi Vineyard

A strong 92+. Just an incredible zinfandel from the master himself. Wanted to check in on this prior to the next release and I’m really glad that I did. Young but already delicious with dusty/brambly purple fruits, lovely acidity, and a very distinct citrus note across the long finish that I typically find more in the Bedrock vineyard (had to check to make sure I opened the right bottle). Very well balanced and ‘pure’ in every sense of the word. That citrus note really kicked it up a notch and placed it squarely in the top tier of zins that I’ve tried this year. If you’re on the list, dont hesitate to buy this one.

[media] Rich Brown on Instagram: "2015 Once & Future Zinfandel, Frank's Block Teldeschi Vineyard" [/media]

Thanks for the tasting note, Rich!!!

The thing I always have remarked when tasting Mr Peterson’s Once & Future Mataro is the purity of fruit in the glass.

Your comments are really something! I know that there are a lot of releases these days, but we’re talking about the “Godfather of Zin” here.

SF Chronicle
“Joel Peterson set the course for California Zin. Now he returns to his roots”

by Jon Bonné
March 2, 2016

“…As for the wines, they essentially echo the style Peterson gleaned from Joseph Swan decades ago, filtered through 40 years more experience. Thus they will taste familiar to those who coveted early, pre-‘No Wimpy’ Ravenswood. By chance, Peterson saved his old redwood tanks from the 1980s; he’s revived them for Once & Future. The resulting wines hover right around 14 percent alcohol, crafted in the subtler, fragrant style found in the old Joseph Swan wines. While Peterson doesn’t discount his more recent efforts at Ravenswood, he acknowledges: ‘I’m moving it back a notch.’…”

Totally agree Drew! ‘Pure’ was one of the main descriptors that kept popping into my head.

Speaking of Mataro, I actually tried popping a 15 Oakley road first but sadly it was corked. Only 1 left so decided to hold off on opening the last one.