Tom Seaver & Seaver Vineyards & Thomas Rivers Brown

Apparently Tom Seaver’s health is starting to fail him:

Mets legend Tom Seaver diagnosed with dementia

I never knew that he makes several hundred cases of Cabernet Sauvignon every year from a plot on Diamond Mountain:

Seaver Vineyards - Wines Diamond Mountain Cabernet

Thomas Rivers Brown is the Winemaker:

Seaver Vineyards - Team Diamond Mountain Cabernet

Sad. This is amazing wine. Once again this year, they weren’t expanding to their waitlist. It’s mostly due to continued low yields in
on DM.

There was a wall at Outpost with autographs of all the HOFers that Seaver brought by. I remember Joe Morgan signed the wall, but there were others. I tried to get on the list when I was there in 2011, but it was already closed and impossible. Seaver had too many friends. I think the elevage was done at Black Sears. IIRC, I saw one of the barrels there. It was too heavy to steal.

Here’s a great article on Seaver, wine, baseball , life, and his health issues . Lots of dialogue from Tom Terrific himself .

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64585192/

Well I guess that explains why I never heard of it - it’s a FOFO wine - “For Our Friends Only”.

Kinda like DRC Batard.

Hafta to put it on the Bucket List.

Seaver’s still at #18 for wins.

It doesn’t look like anyone else is gonna get anywhere close to 300 wins in the next decade or more.

Career Leaders & Records for Wins | Baseball-Reference.com

I have my doubts that anyone gets to 300 career wins again due to five man rotations, metrics, innings restrictions, etc…

James

Bought a bottle of the GTS 2007 On release through my boss at the time, who was a huge baseball fan.
Still have the 1 bottle laying around. Nostalgic now to think about it.

I think I even posted here asking about it (early days of WB, and the advice was, not a lot of people knew the winery but It’s 2007, it’s TRB. So Buy. :slight_smile:

Bump

Was a great article in WS and he was on cover of WS several years ago. Certainly was no secret

Great wine and one of the few idols of my childhood.
Rest in peace Tom. Condolences to your family and friends whick I know includes Thomas & gang.

RIP Mr Terrific.

I grew up in Brooklyn in the '60’s. I can remember schlepping to Shea Stadium on a bus and 2 trains. It was an adventure every year from when the NY Mets started up. My father recently had a heart attack. Money was tight. My mom would make sandwiches and pack chips and cookies, along with a thermos of Hawaiian Punch (remember that). Our seats were last row all the way upstairs. You could catch a breeze up there on a hot summer day.

Until 1969, we loved watching the hapless Mets lose on tv. Year after year. When Tom Seaver came along, it was a game changer. In 1969, I was 16. The victorious season was our 100 pointer, after years of below than average scores.

Like Mike said above, Tom Seaver was the idol of every kid growing up in the New York area. I tried sourcing a bottle of wine for my cousins birthday a few years ago. It was $$$$. I love my cousin, but not that much. I just checked, and see wines are going for 2.5 times over original cost.

Rest in peace #41.

dh

i would have thought kershaw would have been a lot higher.
too many injuries for the young pitchers.
if you look at the list of wins for active pitchers it’s pretty terrible relative to age.

I have my doubts that anyone gets to 300 career wins again due to five man rotations, metrics, innings restrictions, etc…

And sorry to learn about Tom Terrific’s passing on Monday night. He was one of my dad’s favorites. Tom arrived at the Reds in 1977 just missing the pinnacle of the BRM, but should have been a prime playoff performer in 1981. The Reds had the best record in MLB in 1981, but missed the playoffs because they didn’t finish first in either half of the strike shortened season. Yeah, I was only five, but I’m still bitter.

A good friend of ours shared a bottle of the Seaver Cab with us about 7 years ago as we were discussing plans for a wine trip to California. Seems like he was on the mailing list because of his adoration for TRB wines. I need to ask him if he still gets an allocation. Anyway, it was a nice wine from my limited recollections.

Tom was a class act from all accounts. RIP Mr. Seaver.

James

Perhaps the most underappreciated of the great pitchers. You very rarely hear him mentioned among the elite pitchers with whom he belongs.

I’ve never tried the wine, but I’ve always heard good things. It would seem very much in character that he made something really good, rather than just another celebrity vanity project.

Glad to see this hearing Wine Talk. Last year, I went to the fiftieth anniversary celebration of the 1969 Mets championship. During the event, I took a photograph of everyone gathered and sent it to the guys at Outpost who did the back office work for the Seaver winery and asked them to pass it on to Tom Terrific. Their response to me was that Seaver was not really aware of his baseball history, but he enjoyed working in the vineyard.

One other thing. To get a rough idea of Seaver’s importance to us New Yorkers, in the summer of 1977, my wife and I finally took our delayed honeymoon in London. When we returned to New York, my father picked us up at the airport. When we got in the car, what were the first words out of his mouth? Hello. How was London? How was the flight? Are you glad to be back? No. None of these. The first words out of his mouth were, “The Mets traded Tom Seaver.” And he wasn’t even much of a baseball fan.

I had the chance to meet Mr. Seaver a few times when I was a little kid as my Grandfather worked for the Mets from 1962-2000. My grandfather always said he was a very nice man and I remember him being very friendly with me and my brother.

Would love to try a bottle of his wine. Been on the Waitlist for about 18 months now.