2018 Bulk Wine Sales

I recall in the early 1980s people were recommending Gallo Hearty Burgandy because it was a great year for cabernet and much of the excess would flow into the jug wines.

It looks like 2018 may be a similar year. I’ve heard from a Napa grower that with near perfect growing conditions, the 2018 cabs should be with wines of the decade.

About 20 million gallons of bulk wine are for sale statewide, a result of a record 2018 harvest and slowing wine case sales, according to Turrentine Brokerage.

Should be a good year for negotiants like Cameron Hughes. Even Trader Joes :slight_smile:

Why the trough in 2011?

Interesting more Napa than Sonoma available.

short vintage in 2010 due to nasty frosts scorching buds and lowering yields considerably. 2011 saw just about everything go wrong…scattered frosts in the spring then wet may/early june which stuck caps and led to “hens and chicks” (uneven clusters) and then a cool summer and fall rains. Extreme selection on the sorting table, however, made some really nice wines. Nevertheless, yields were absolute crap. CH

Huh.

Apparently “Cameron Hughes” is a real person.

[I actually thought that Bartles & Jaymes were real people, back in the day. It was so disappointing to learn that they were just actors hired by Gallo to play the parts.]

Meh, I only buy wines of the century

So much hype with 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. Now 2018?

2018 might be on par with some of the best in Northern California history. Long growing season and perfect temps. Lotta winemakers are licking their chops so far…

Buy em ALL!!! Don’t forget 2005, 2007, 2009, and, before that…

Don’t leave out 2011. So many people loved this vintage too. Like the old days of Napa . Every year is great !!