Next of Kyn #9 Wood Box..WOW!

The HUGE black wood box is the wildest I’ve ever seen for wine, anyone else?

Cheers

That’s just crazy. I usually assume that type of packaging is needed to sell bad wine, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here (I’ve never had a SQN, admittedly). Hasn’t Krankl always used odd-shaped bottles? Seems consistent, I guess. Way, way over the top though, if you ask me.

Next year…Elvis decanters!

Brandon you would be correct quite often as funny cute or really catchy or crude names catch peoples attention will and does sell cheap crappy wine. The average joe six when they do buy a bottle of wine will buy something simply because they find the label amusing or gros. My local wine group if we start a business and start selling our stuff already has a few names picked. Our first will be “One eyed orphan stepchild” and the next will called " Flattened roadkill juice. Might be too gross but will have to do some market research ! Sorry for my potty humor.

Manfred is a brilliant winemaker. He is also even a better marketer. The fact that he changes names of his wines every year AND makes incredibly creative labels shows his creativity as well his imagination and his dedication. Some feel his wines are too bold but who cares as tons of people love them.

As the Next Of Kyn is a totally different brand then SQN it gets numbered 1,2,3 ,4 ,5 ,6 etc so anyone can easily identify which year. He always markets them as a set with 1 mag and 2 750s. PLUS the monstrous box which I am sure Manfred had a blast creating. Yup its bold and over the top but it is his art and nobody except the ATF tells him what labels or packaging to use. He is also an incredibly imaginative writer as his newsletters ramble off in various directions on his feelings and philosophies. There is no newsletter I have ever seen as fun to read.

I don’t need the wine but I might get the box to store my ashes.

I just got a delivery of two of the boxes and that was my partner’s comment - “looks like something you use to pack ashes from a crematorium.”

The box is not new. I have the same one from last year. The only problem is that it is the all time 100% worst package to keep in a cellar.

It was shipped along with the SQN. I may open a bottle of the SQN Grenache tomorrow in honor of RBG’s birthday, since Manfred always seems to associate Grenache with feminine wine.

The boxes are beautiful but impractical for storage. I took the bottles out on receipt and stored the boxes separately until I found someone to give them to.

How many points did the box get from Suckling?

[thumbs-up.gif]

+1, first thought

The box has been the same since #1 was released EIGHT YEARS ago.

thank you eric
i was wondering how much more grand the nok box could have gotten!

even more crazy

very macabre FWIW

Eric can you offer some notes on how older vintages of the box are aging?

Boxes are dead at retail.

The box is dry and woody. It doesn’t taste very good. I can’t really find any vintage variation. The wine is freaking delicious though!

As an engineer, I really have to scratch my head at the large rubber band stretched across the two dowels on both sides of the box. This is their solution?

hahaha

what do you do with those boxes during the aging?

champagne.gif

Lisa Perrotti-Brown loves it. The wine that is. She didn’t rate the box.