TN: 2001 Château Smith Haut Lafitte (France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan)

2001 Château Smith Haut Lafitte - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (3/13/2019)
Another wine served blind, and decanted about 3 hours prior to service…

This was a bit darker in color than the 2001 Pontet Canet is was served with, and had a darker fruit profile - more black fruit than red. That being said, it also showed developing complexity, with a rich, earthy core, and touches of spice, cedar and a little lingering touch of vanilla. It’s got plenty of stuffing, and it’s evolving in a nice direction. I would hold off for another 3 years or so to allow it to continue on the current aging curve. What was once borderline too modern in style for my taste, is rounding into a lovely wine, evocative of Bordeaux, and more specifically Pessac.

Posted from CellarTracker

Because it seemed to have shifted modern, all my remaining post-2000 SHL went off to auction when we downsized a year ago. Good to hear that it is aging nicely, though I’m now kicking myself for that choice to unload.

Hi David. Thanks for the TN and glad to see this wine trending well for you. I had picked up a case on release and although it has always been in the modern camp I have really enjoyed every bottle I’ve had. And I’m not one to really gravitate to the modern. The 01 SHL is balanced, ripe but still unmistakably Bordeaux; has a wonderful mouthfeel and a killer finish. A fan of this vintage of this wine. I posted my last tasting note on this several months back. Glad I still have a few in the cellar.

1 Like

My very first Pessac…the gravel, slate and earthy graves goodness still haunts me

I’m still surprised SHL floats your boat, Marc. The ones I’ve had post-2000 were like a vanilla creamsicle.

This was decidedly not. It had a little vanilla, but only a very little.

Now when I tasted the 2005…I almost spit it out…'04 is wayyy btr

'08 too is quite nice I found…not sure what they were trying ro pull with the '05…too modern

1 Like

I often find that riper/oakier styled BDX is better in cooler vintages like 02 and 04 or moderate vintages like 01 than big vintages like 05. I know I’ve had SHL in 01, 02 and 04 and it’s been very good those years.

This [thumbs-up.gif]

Tasted the '04 abput 6 times
…always nice, some variation…but one time my jaw hit the tile it was that good.

I guess my main beef with SHL has been the oak level (with a creamy texture a secondary issue), but oak can integrate with time. I should retry.

I’ve had a few bottles of this over the years. I do think it’s a quite modern style. But I disagree that one has to wait on this. I feel like it has been drinking well for at least 5 years.

A very nice wine and not as overly modern as I’d originally feared.

My beef with SHL, especially the 2002, is the exact opposite of yours. Creamy with espresso texture first, then that oak as secondary.

My last 2 tries with my 2002 bottles had not been successful for me, and I bought back at release because my sampling then was promising.

We had the 2000 last night and it was excellent. Everything you want mature Bordeaux to be.

Apologies to David, but I am too lazy to start my own thread. I agree with Jim, the 2000 SHL is on the early side of maturity, but it is a classic and enjoyable wine. I bought some of these on release and have stored them at 55 degrees since. Big floral/red fruit aroma, the color is softening around the edges of the glass. Cassis, pencil lead, leather. The wine still has youthful energy, but it is quite approachable after a two-hour decant. What a compliment to some medium-rare Flannery flatirons! I am happy to have a few more in storage and will wait a year or two before opening the next one.

1 Like