2016 Roumier Musigny for only . . .

$20,002 . . . per bottle—but they only have one. Crazy Burgundy pricing abounds now. Put me on the sidelines, mouth agape.

what sense does that make with earlier vintages selling on winebid for prices ranging from 1-5k?

it’s new wine! Better! Cheapest I see on w-s pro is $4500.

I honestly still might buy if offered.

1 Like

What vintage of Roumier Musigny can you currently buy for $1k?

Yep Dujac CdLR almost $1K here, Rousseau Beze and Chambertin $2K on secondary market. I have recalibrated my sights. It is difficult for me to realise $2K value from a bottle.

Dujac CdLR is “honest retail” $375-425 here, with $500 not too hard to find. I netted some '16s but look at it as a “take it if offered” situation, not an allocation to expect every year. I have been getting some Dujac from my guy every year for the past four and quantities this year were higher, so maybe things are looking up (for me). Oddly, no Clos St. Denis, just Clos de la Roche from the pair.

I got to enjoy about 6 bottles of Rousseau back in the '90s. They were fabulous. No more in the cellar and no offers of any sense that I’ve seen since 2001.

Roumier got all screwed up when C&E changed their distribution algorithms. I used to get a sixer of Cras every year. I’m lucky to get a bottle of Village Chambolle or Clos de la Bussiere lately. Instead, I’m now getting Meo-Camuzet minus the top two unicorns. I go with the flow and hope for some good sips in the future.

Alas.

fred

The billionaires have chased out all the millionaires.

1 Like

Here in Texas at “honest retail” (I like that expression), 2016 Dujac Clos de la Roche, Clos St. Denis and Vosne Malconsorts were all under $400. I passed, but the wines are far more available than in the past which is very odd considering that the 85s have been setting auction records right and left lately.

Love your last paragraph- that is my story. I used to get 3-4 each of Roumier Musigny and Amoureuses every year and usually 6 of the rest that Diageo imported (ie not including Charmes or Ruchottes). But 2010 was the last year I saw any Roumier and it was the odd bottle- though at least Musigny was in that mix. Now I am told the wines are being released primarily in the major markets- no one is even trying to share them around.

And just like you Fred, I now focus much of my energy on Meo-Camuzet except for the Richebourg and Parantoux. Roumier and DRC would be nice- but Meo of late certainly offers the same thrills and promise. So I just consider myself lucky and go with it.

PS- to address the market issue more broadly, too much to post in detail- but I am seeing the signs of cracks in the current bubble. 2017 prices are not coming down from 2016, and we are going to go back to the old day, but a lot of the speculation and quick flipping (and less than “honest retailing”) is starting to come under considerable pressure.

Recently, there was a secondary release of leftover 2015 DRCs for a start- along with some recent back vintages of even the top wines. And I am aware of at least once instance where leftover burgundies were offered by wholesalers at more than the retail of the wine’s primary retail clients who had received and offered their full allocations.

What is unusual in this latest bubble is that all along the way, just about everyone has brazenly tried to cash in on market hype in some very obvious and sometimes outrageous ways. That is not going to last. The customers are walking away, and now a lot of retailers are walking away too. And when a retailer stops buying the cherries- it is a good opportunity to wonder whether the rest of a wholesaler’s portfolio, the real bread and butter, is worth keeping around at the levels formerly necessary to get those cherries.

Why do you skip the Richebourg and Parantoux?

Apologies if you were asking Fred and not me,

But for my part it is a question of quantity and price- and to some extent ultimate usefulness. The actual release price of those two wines is not all that far off from auction rate except for the very top vintages, and the wines are scattered such that most people I know get 1-2 bottle allocations. And these days I pretty much insist on 3s at the very least. Years of experience have taught me that hard lesson- these small production grand crus can go in all sorts of directions as they age, and having 1 or 2 is just too risky in terms of hoping to catch that magical moment.

And even if I could get 3 Richebourg- the cost of those 3 bottles at normal retail is more than I spend on full 6 packs of each of Echezeaux, Nuits Boudots and Nuits Murgers plus an extra tasting bottle of 1 of them to try at release. It is more of a premium than I want to spend- and while I have had the Richebourg and think it is marvelous, the Echezeaux is qualitatively just as good. Both are in the top ranks for their respective vineyards, and at my dinner table with the sorts of foods I tend to make- Echezeaux fits in more nicely than Richebourg. So a no brainer for me. YMMV.

Kent,

Dujac CDLR here now more like $1200 plus, and Rousseau is hitting $3k…

I had the same reaction. Even $5K is a stretch with VIG included.

Last night I tasted seven villages level Burgundies - all delicious. Meo-Camuzet 2015 NSG, Rossignol-Trapet 2005 Gevrey Chambertin, Bachelet 2008 GC, Jouan 2010 GC Aux Echezeaux, Hudelot-Noellat 2005 Chambolle-Musigny, Cecile Tremblay 2011 CM and Felettig 2011 CM.

1 Like

If I’m buying like Tom Reddick, I’m doing something right, even if accidentally. Richebourg and Cros Parantoux are the two Meo wines I don’t get offered, so not even a calculation on my part. The Brulees is my highest-price purchase from the portfolio and I rationalize it as a baby Richebourg. I do have a fettish for great Echezeaux, but don’t buy all offered due to budgetary constraints in most years.

Cheers,
fred

wine-searcher shows the 2011 at $1300.

Huh, I have pro and the cheapest is $4500.

That’s Mugnier, not Roumier.

I think you missed a zero. It says the last global offer price in February 2019 was $13,042

Unless I’m not seeing the same thing you are.

And I’m an idiot. You’re absolutely right.