Your favorite stemless wine glasses?

Hi, Folks. I did a search and, while there are lots of conversations about wine glasses, I didn’t see anything other than on-off posts about stemless wine glasses. I’d like to buy a set of something for casual drinking. Opting for one shape only, I’m inclined to go with a shape that’s better for red wines. Whites will be just fine in those I’m sure. It’s not like I’m going to drink my best stuff from these. What are your favorite stemless glasses? TIA

1 Like

Try out the shapes and sizes first. There’s at least one important factor to consider that does not apply to stemmed glasses - being able to get your fingers comfortably round the bowl. I have quite big hands, and have some glasses designed for red wines. I can hold them OK, but find it very difficult to swirl them. Consequently I find myself using a smaller white wine glass for all wines - when using stemless at least. In particular, I use Riedel O Chardonnay/Viognier glasses.

Stemless, i just buy those cheap martha stewarts ones for $10. Comes in 6.

Not a particular fan of stemless, and this isn’t what you are looking for. But to answer your question my favorite is govino. For traveling/outdoors/beach/pool/tailgate etc I’ve come to really like them.

Govino for outside/tailgating, otherwise I do not like stemless

none. Never liked the concept of warming up my reds or whites with stemless.

Don’t have any; don’t use any. Takes the “sexiness” out of wine consumption.

I don’t use stemless wine glasses regularly either but find them useful for hosting wine tastings. The Schott Zwiesel Studio (Google: Costco 210185) are $19.99 and are sometimes discounted to $14.99. This is for a set of 8 so they are less than $2 apiece at that price. They are 16oz.

Edit: looks like these may no longer be available from Costco.

Mark me down for another person that doesnt use or own stemless glasses. I will occasionally drink a daily out of a tumbler glass and convince myself it is very Bohemian of myself.

TW

+1, the few we have left are used for water.

We have a Reidel set that was gifted to us that we use mainly for water. if you are buying a set for all around use make sure the bowls are not too large. The Reidels we have are inexpensive and sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/riedel-reg-o-cabernet-merlot-stemless-wine-glasses-buy-6-get-8-value-set/1014989250?keyword=reidel-stemless

Marquis by Waterford

Picked them up at a close out sale.

The bowl is same size and shape as my stems. Thin, light and durable.

I’ve got Reidel O Cabernet glasses that I use as water tumblers, and Chardonnay/Viognier that I use for OJ. My daughter routinely uses Reidel Os, but she has a 2 1/2 YO boy bouncing and careening around.

Aside from the heat transfer issue, and smudged bowls, I find stemless glasses uncomfortable in the hand, especially the angular Schott Zwiesel. The Reidel Swirl has a better grip, but I find the shape unattractive.

100% agree… Stemless glasses almost offend my sensibilities. Can’t explain it. Agree with heat transfer, etc. but that’s not it (although I do want to grab many of the stemmed glasses improperly held by others in the palms of their hands…and, no, they are not warming the wine). Traditionalist? Maybe… but don’t tell me stemmed glasses were introduced thousands of years after wines were first vinified. Wine glasses have stems. They are stemware…along with my martini glasses, cognac fish bowls, etc. So that’s that… and I wanted to quote Merrill, but sexiness and me in the wine-drinking context didn’t quite work…

I have quite big hands, and have some glasses designed for red wines. I can hold them OK, but find it very difficult to swirl them.

[scratch.gif]

Dude - that seems like it would make it a lot easier, unless your fine motor skills are fading! You can hold the glass in your fingers, palm it, do any number of tricks and swirl just fine, kind of like those lariat guys doing rope tricks. Even swirl behind your back and pass from one hand to another. Make it a challenge and impress all your friends!

I’ve never had a problem. I don’t particularly love stemless glasses but the one thing I never think about is heat transfer. I see people putting on coats when it’s only in the 50s, both men and women. I can’t see how they have sufficient body heat to transfer the excess through their little finger tips. The idea of warming up your wine by holding the glass in your fingers always seemed like an explanation without any basis in reality, especially for women, who typically have colder hands then men. If you’ve ever tried to warm up a glass by cupping it in your palms, you know how long it takes to actually transfer any heat and nobody holds a wine glass like it’s a cup of hot cocoa on a winter day. Holding the glass in your fingers isn’t going to warm any wine unless your fingers are glowing coals.

We use Riedel stemless for almost all of our family consumption. Had a stemmed one fall victim to dog tail off end table. And changed. Dinners at table with others get stemmed, but even then pre dinner is normally stemless.

Reidel O

We have a set of Riedel O glasses for the sole purpose of travel. We rent a lot of AirBnB type apartments around the world, and wine glasses - let alone decent ones - are rare. The O’s come in a neat and easy 4 pack box that fits right on the top of one of my carry-on bags.

1 Like

I don’t ever use stemless at home , but have a few Os (thanks Ramon) that I find essential for concerts in the park. Os are perfect for setting down on uneven grass.
As to heat transfer, generally I set my glass down between sips, so hard to believe anything significant.

The other time I thought Os were great when we did a blind dinner (not just wine, food). Patterned after a couple restaurants that serve in complete darkness. Stemless was helpful to reduce spillage.