PSA - 2010 Musar

All,

I have a friend that works in the wine industry and has been speaking with someone in the supply chain for Musar/Broadbent/Distributor. Apparently Musar took a big hit in their Cabernet in 2010 and lost close to 50% of their expected crop. What does this mean? They made less of this vintage than expected and they’re trying to slow sales by increasing prices. If you like Musar stock up on the 2010’s as fast as you can.

Yowzer. I’m personally not a big Musar fan - I want to like it, but each time I try, the profile doesn’t agree with my palate. Good intel though, thanks for sharing

This seems odd. Nine years late to be talking about crop issues. This wine has been in the market for quite a while.

It is a very good Musar.

Funny, I am new to the red and happened to pick up one for $50 at K&L. I’ll give it try and see. The white has been a beautiful wine.

+1

For those who haven’t experienced this before…there are some vintages of Musar that take a BIG jump in price as time passes and as wines sell. I should start by saying that I’m not in the wine industry any more at this stage in my life, but I used to be. So (for instance) I can recall when the cost of the 1995 jumped from $32 to $78 overnight to reflect the decrease in stock & availability of that one vintage. It may not happen everyplace all at once, but once it starts someplace it will happen others. My friend that shared this with me has been selling Musar for 20+ years when it was largely unheard of and would sit on the shelves at $26/bottle.

First the praise of Otto and now this. Had to buy it
Only 38$ champagne.gif
Only 19$ for halves champagne.gif champagne.gif

Yep, a no brainer!

I can see that 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 are still available for around 40€. Also white 1999 and 2001 are reasonably priced
But older vintages are 100€ and up
1991 still ok priced [cheers.gif]

The importer decided to pursue a policy of marking up older vintages in the US (there was a big thread about it at the time on the old Squires board). They are less expensive in the EU.

While I don’t like paying more, it does make sense. These wines are worth what they’re asking for them. I just miss the “old days” sometimes.

In the UK it was released last year and we were told that the prolonged heat wave in 2010 resulted in a significant loss of grapes so quantities were low and sold to merchants on an allocation basis and perhaps wouldn’t be available again (although don’t they always hold some back?).

There was no additional markup over the previous couple of releases, the following 2011 was £1 more IIRC but in much more plentiful supply.

So you think I should buy some Magnums too? Otherwise it could soon be too late? [cheers.gif]

FWIW

I would buy magnums if I could find them in the US.

Just grabbed the last 4.
Thanks for alerting
Perfect birth year wine in magnum champagne.gif

Just tried the 2010 from a 0,375.
IMG_20190330_175651.jpg
(in the Bordeaux glass)
What a showing for a young Musar. A bit too sweet right now, IMO, but the palette of fragrances is just stunning. Had to buy some more Magnums, while it is possible
Also tried the goldenbrownish 1999 Musar White. It lacks a lot acid for a Riesling lover like me, but the balance is there, thanks to the depth of attractive flavours