2009 Haut Bailly: Reports of my death are an exaggeration

Reports of oxidation and/or premature aging of some 2009s, including the Haut Bailly, from Neal Martin and others at the recent Farr Vintners “2009 Bordeaux Ten Years On” tasting prompted me to pop my first of these for an early look.

• 2009 Château Haut-Bailly - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (3/24/2019)
    Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red/opaque core, minimal lightening at the rim. Immediately forthcoming and voluptuous complex nose of cassis, dark berries, tobacco, cedar, wet earth and dusty gravels, hints of smoke and tar. Medium-full body, ripe fruit, nice balancing minerally acidity and slightly grippy tannins. On the modern side but no signs of excessive ripeness, oxidation, or volatile acidity. Medium-long finish. Amazingly good on pop and pour. Outstanding.

I’m not questioning what Neal Martin and the other gathered vinous experts experienced at the Farr Vintners tasting. I’m far less experienced than any of them. But I’m confident that if they had tasted from the bottle I’m drinking, there would have been no comments about oxidation or premature aging.

An hour later the nose is still killer, as is the attack and mid palate, though the tannins are starting to take over on the finish. Will update after following it through the evening and save some for tomorrow.

Great note, David. I’ve recently landed some 2006 and 2008 Haut Bailly.

I trust the Doc palate! Even if he cheats a little with some Rolland from time to time.

I assumed the 2019 reference was a play in the tasting date.

Oops, just not paying attention… fixed.

At 2 and 3 hours in, and with dinner, this is still going strong. The tannins are in check. Wife likes it too. May be tough to hold on to a glass for tomorrow.