Bombino Bianco

late this morning, I was at Az. Vin. Rivera, in the Castel Del Monte region of north Puglia. The beginning wine of the tasting was their Bombino Bianco. At first, it reminded me of Favorita (e.g. body, simplicity). But with 5 minutes in the glass (i.e. temperature increased) more complexity and minerality emerged. I say more complexity, but realise that’s because it began with very little. A taste at the 10 minute mark had me wishing I could readily find this more as it’s perfect (for me) for summer drinking - with or without food. It’s obvious this doesn’t fall in the over-cropped category, it’s pretty, and offers good, fresh purity. Anyone else have any experience with this grape?

Yup, Tim…I’ve had one encounter w/ this grape:

Sounds like your experience was much better than mine.
Tom

I’ve been to the Rivera winery. Beautiful area. Do they still make a Bombino Nero rose’?

Bombino Bianco is pretty much just another Italian curiosity. Besides Rivera’s wine the only other varietal Bombino Bianco I have seen is one by Giancarlo Ceci called “Panascio”. About $15.

they sure do

Tom, small world, I suppose. Last Friday I had a few vintages of this at Fattoria Paradiso in Emilia-Romagna. It’s not a variety that I had any interest in tasting again; too simple. From that region, anyway. And FP’s is probably one of the better examples.

Tim…do you know if that Rivera you liked so well is imported into the USofA?
Tom

Tim, I’ve had just one that I can remember…picked up at Wine Exchange a few years back, sheerly out of curiosity. No great shakes, but pleasant enough.

2014 Poderi’ dal Nespoli Pagadebit di Romagna - Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Pagadebit di Romagna (3/5/2016)
Two small glasses consumed over ~1 hour. Pale, light but slightly creamy, a grapefruit/grass/greenish character which reminds me of a simple, slightly dilute sauvignon blanc…but in a refreshing way, if you like that profile. My wife liked this more than I did.

Posted from CellarTracker

Tom, yes it is.

I’m not taking about Pagedebit from E-R, talking about Bombino Bianco from Puglia. The former holds no interest for me, the latter - yesterday’s example anyway - is a great picnic wine, no doubt a good value, too.

Tom,

We import the three everyday Rivera wines (Bombino Bianco, rosé of Bombino Nero and Nero di Troia) under a second label, Masseria Furfante.