Stuck Cork in Sparkling Wine

So we have a bottle of sparkling wine with a stuck cork. It’s not a special bottle so not worth risking a body part over it .
I’m thinking just leave it outside on a warm day until it pops and drink it .

Any thoughts ?

Is it a traditional method sparkler? If so, I would get the bottle very cold and saber it.

Run the neck under warm/hot water for a few minutes. After the cork is out, into an ice bath.

Or…Have someone you don’t like try to open it using a corkscrew.

With the neck of the bottle facing away from you (and anyone else), grab the cork with a pair of pliers and gently twist the bottle to loosen the cork.

I’m not sure . Think it might be a bottle of Prosecco . It’s not champagne nor a California sparkler . But no way will I saber it. I’m not turning into John Bobbit over this bottle .

[winner.gif]

If that’s your concern you might want to work on your sabering technique a bit, champ.

Good point . Honey, Kids, can you please help me???

I’ve had this happen a few times with older bottles of sparkling Shiraz. Just use a normal corkscew. It’s not hard.

This is common when sparkling wines lose gas pressure. It may be dead.

I use this tool and it works very well. Amazon.com

Hahaha, really. Sabering is quite safe when done properly. It needs to be traditional method, though. If it is, watch some videos online and make sure the bottle is VERY cold. I wouldn’t do it with Prosecco.

Sabering technique:

Mike, that’s precisely why I stopped using my battle axe for opening my 6Ls of 1929 Petrus.

Laws of physics/pressure ?

A friend of mine in the trade told me of a colleague (presumably not a clown like the guy in the video above) ended up in ER after sabering a bottle.

I like channel lock pliers for this situation.

Save it for the next yacht christening.

I’m sure, but this is very little information. I’ve never heard of it going wrong when done properly. Beyond technique, bottle temperature is extremely important, and many people who I would have thought to know what they were doing are not aware of that.

Has anyone mentioned using a Champagne star?