TN: 2017 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Cortada Alta Vineyard

My first true/near pobega of the season. I always look forward to new bottlings from those I know well. Sandler has done it again.

• 2017 Sandler Wine Company Pinot Noir Cortada Alta Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (3/30/2019)
    The color is electric ruby: vibrant and near glowing. Nose of sweet red berry fruit with strawberries leading the way. The palate shows amazing deftness that Sandler Pinots have been known for. Soft undertoned & plushy red berries rule the day. Hard to believe these were just bottled last month. A true testament of the artistry applied by human hand. I am trying real hard to find commonality with any of the prior 50 or so bottles of Sandler Pinot I have sampled but can find none whatsoever. This is a unique addition to the lineup. The fruits hold on boldly for a long time and yet, this is not a bold wine. Amazing. So much in this and if you own some I would consider you one lucky pinotphile. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice. Was this in the Berserker pack?

It was in my BD pack.

Mike, nobody can “pobega” like you !

Sweet! That means I have at least one in my (unopened) box!

Outstanding. Just got my box. I was afraid to Pobega it so instead I Pobegaed (the past participle) a DV8 Viognier. Note on that later.

I’ve yet to pop the Sandler version but tasted the 2016 Mansfield Dunn and the 2016 August West versions of the same vineyard. That vineyard is little higher in elevation and must have some unique soil because comparing it to other vineyards very near by farmed by the same folks, The Cortada Alta vineyard stoud out clearly. I prefer Ed’s Sandler creations to his August West and Mannsfield Dunn creations but I bought this vineyard from both of the those producers because it was so good and will certainly pick up some 2017 Sandler Cortada Alta and some Berseker Cuvee next time I’m up at Ed’s in a few weeks for open house.

Sean