TN: 2005 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia

• 2005 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (3/31/2019)
    Decanted 6hrs. Showing small traces of oak on the nose, but very much in the background, allowing for the dark fruits to sit centerstage. Alluring spice notes as well. Exceptionally clean presentation on the palate, with the dark cherry pit fruit dominating, structure is clearly there, but subtle. As it fans out mid palate and the finish, we so more trademark Lopez Heredia-ish stuff kick in, such as orange peel, really solid acidity, and a closing note of funk. I really, really liked this. How could you not?!?! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

The LdH Reservas are still fantastic values.

Really good to hear! I bought 24 bottles and six magnums without having as yet tasted it, such is my faith in LdH—and my colleague Luis, who loved it.

1 Like

I had to buy 24 0.375’s of these to buy a few Rosado and Blanco
I am ok with that sacrifice [cheers.gif]

This is a very narrowly tailored PSA, but for those with a Northern California Raleys/BelAir/Nob Hill near them, consider checking if yours has this. My location has the 05 Ldh Tondonia Reserva on closeout. It’s being dumped for maybe $21ish assuming a buyer takes six (of this, or a mixed lot). The chain tends to put things on sale across the system…but its not consistent so my data point may not be of help to anyone else.

They don’t sell fine wine online, or have a useful way to call in and see what’s available. One just has to pop in and look. This is the first time my location has really put wine on sale in a year to be honest. The local wine steward told me many times over the year that she’s hitting 6 run grand slams, and not discounting a bit.

I know this is heretical here, but LdH isn’t really to my taste, so I actually passed. Also possibly prompted by visiting my offsite storage for the first time in six months, and being dismayed with how many wines that should have already been drunk, were hiding in the cases. (I’m looking at a couple of straggler 2007 Cotes du Rhones!)

EDIT: to reduce the PMs - location was the Fair Oaks / Walnut / Arden intersection in Carmichael. Other random stuff too like Lafleur Gazin for $20 etc. Best bet is just check local ones in person.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! Do you know which location had it in stock?

Which location did you see this available for sale?

William, if you bought 24 of the Tondonia tinto, how many did you buy of the blanco in the same vintage? Can’t buy one without the other [drinkers.gif]

This post made me depressed about how few LdH are in my collection!

My source didn’t bundle. I do have quite a bit of Gravonia in the cellar but I rarely open them as I like them with 30+ years on the clock and they are mostly younger than that.

This, but even more so with Tondonia Blanco than Gravonia IME.

Just to confirm, you mean thirty years from release, not from vintage, right? :wink:

Haha How many PMs did you get? For what it’s worth, I checked Santa Clara (none), and Redwood Shores (empty on the shelf, but $38 after 30% discount). It would suggest that the particular deal was just at that store.

Had the 06 and 07 both this week - the 06 has improved another notch since my last bottle last year, and it definitely feels more refined/elegant than the 07 - love them both, but 06 has the edge at the moment. Amazing value as ever.

1 Like

Is it just me or has it been a bizarrely long time since there has been a (red) Gran Reserva release? Anyone know what’s up with that?

I think the 2001 GR Bosconia is set to be released this year. The next Tondonia, I don’t know.

3 Likes

They didn’t make any for a while - between 1995 and 2001 - because demand was so weak.

Slight thread drift here…

I was surprised to read recently that due to weak demand for their white wine, in recent history LdH replanted a big section of Tondonia from white to red.

This is apparently why the red réserva is abundant while the whites have become increasingly difficult (and pricey) to obtain.

Time to revert back again!

I agree! I looked at the number of bottles produced of the LdH whites last week after getting the idea that I should be buying more of them since I enjoy them and they pair so well with food. They are hard to find! I was surprised to learn the production size of the Tondonia Blanco is about the same as the Rose. According to the LdH website, the current release 2009 Tondonia Blanco Reserva production is 15,000 bottles, and the 1996 Tondonia Blanco Gran Reserva is 6,500 bottles. This is close to the amount of 2010 Tondonia Gran Reserva Rose released (20,000 bottles). For comparison the 2008 Tondonia Reserva Tinto production is 220,000 bottles. The Gravonia production is similarly small (in relative terms).

Here in the PacNW, as recently as 10 years ago, I could get essentially as much of any of the RLdH whites that I wanted (definitely true for Tondonia Reserva and Gravonia). Even as recently as 5 years ago, they were still relatively available. But over the last few years, all the whites have become quite scarce here (and even in nearby states). Not sure how much of that is due to local considerations (importer/distributor) vs overall demand considerations. If these trends continue, sourcing the whites here will be almost as challenging as sourcing the rosado. Bummer…

Michael