Pairing with liver

What would you pair with either beef or chicken liver? (Traditional preparation with onions)

1 Like

beaujolais

1 Like

Champagne

2 Likes

I was pondering bourgogne with some age or whole cluster rhone… thoughts?

I suggest almost anything from Jura; the reds are light and tartly fruity like most Beaujolais, the cremants anywhere from similar to very dry and savory, and the whites, they fit even better, tangy, savory, often oxidative. Which brings us to Sherry, I would enjoy almost any dry Sherry, though more flavorful would be better to match liver, so Mazanilla pasada, amontillado…

2 Likes

Bacon too?

Yeah

A nice Chianti … with some fava beans.

1 Like

I am shocked it took 8 posts to get here.

2 Likes

Especially because the correct answer is Amarone (in the book).

1 Like

Chateauneuf traditional style young and basic.

I might try pairing it with a Grenache.

Lessona Nebbiolo
Chianti with a little age and fava beans
Dry Lambrusco

Which based on my limited experience with mammal liver would be a much better pairing than Chianti.

For chicken liver, the preparation matters a lot, but I’ve loved 1998 Austrians (both Riesling and GV) with chicken liver mousse, as the botrytis brings a richness that complements the mousse with a palate cleansing fresh acidity. Jura whites would offer similar elements.

1 Like

There is no “correct” answer - only opinions.
Although a GrĂĽner Veltliner Smaragd or similar niveau would be a good choice I would take a (close to mature) traditional Chateauneuf-DP -
Bois de Boursan/Versino 1998/95/94/90 would be a nice match.

I don’t have liver very often, but don’t remember any red going particularly well with it. Maybe try a grenache blanc from Spain?

I don’t really like the idea of whites with it and the whites I have around are all white burgs and champagne. Gonna try this Grenache and see how it goes. I do have some aged cdp (early 90s Beaucastel and VT) but don’t feel like trying to dig it out of the cellar atm.

My “gourmet” gut tells me to pair a bit of a heavyweight red with this dish. Something to stand up to it. High ripe fruit, not bright fruit, concentrated, high-ish alcohol , maybe Aussie Shiraz or Argentina Malbec. Let them slug it out!

I’m thinking rosé bubbles with chicken liver, the garbage can with beef liver.