Bernard Boisson-Vadot

Last vintage of this label! From 2017 on, all the wines will be under either the Anne or Pierre Boisson labels.

1 Like

Guess you liked the label so much you forgot about the notes? Or the picture is the best part of the wine?

2016 Bernard Boisson-Vadot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (4/5/2019)

Refreshing, mineral with bright vivid acidity and stony citrus fruit, very stylish and confirming this domaine as a rising star!!

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks!

Just got offered some of the Grandes Charron, a village level wine, for $150. It’s very good wine, but not that good.

Interesting, tho not surprising I guess, that the Boisson-Vadot label is going away. Who will be making the Anne Boisson wines…same as before (I’m heard different stories about who does the AB wine making, i.e. Pierre vs Anne vs a collaboration)? In any case, great wines and I’m a fan.

Along those lines, I opened an 09 Pierre Boisson Meursault a couple of months ago…my second bottle since buying at release (the first, when I first got them, was good but very tight). Poured into a tall/narrow decanter at an informal mostly burgundy tasting group. Nicely balanced and good but not esp exciting flavors/character, esp given what I was expecting. After trying tastes for ~45 min, I gave up and moved on to other wines (others had as well). About 2.5-3 hours in, it exploded into an amazing wine…at the same level as the 10 BV Grands Charrons & 10 BV Les Chevalieres. Excellent acidity & quality for a good vintage, and esp for an 09. Course, these are all village Meursaults, but they’re playing a higher game…and nice to see that the Pierre Boisson Meursault is as well. Now my question is: when to open my last remaining bottle of 08 PB Meursault.

Would have to ask a few more questions before I could answer that…

2015s are very good if you see them, don’t hesitate.

I have been a buyer, particularly of the Grand Charrons, since 2007, and they used to be well priced at about $50 per bottle…and sometimes on sale for less than that by Premier Cru! I like the wines very much, but am no longer a buyer at $150 for village level wine…but then again, I am not a buyer of Armand Ente at $400+ for premier cru wines either.

Was looking over the May HDH auction results.

1290 6 2012 Meursault, Les Chevalières, Boisson-Vadot 1,200 - 1,800 1,700 2,031.50

1291 6 2012 Meursault, Les Chevalières, Boisson-Vadot 1,200 - 1,800 1,700 2,031.50

1292 3 2014 Meursault, Les Chevalières, Boisson-Vadot 400 - 600 800 956.00

1293 6 2011 Meursault, Les Genevrières, Boisson-Vadot 800 - 1,200 2,600 3,107.00
1293 1 2012 Meursault, Les Chevalières, Boisson-Vadot
1293 1 2013 Meursault, Les Chevalières, Boisson-Vadot

Lot #1293 hammered at over twice estimate. Crazy! Burghound does not even review these.

that is especially impressive considering the release price of the 15 genevrieres via polaner was $150. i feel they really hit their stride in the past few vintages. my first experiences with earlier vintages starting in 09 have been that of excessive reduction which doesn’t seem to dissipate.

i think it’s 2013 (or 2014?) where they changed their style to lessen reduction. To me the changes are similar to how coche has changed where that massive gunflint and reductive element has been reduced. No coincidence that the sons at both domaines that are now in charge of winemaking are also best friends.

Maybe William can give us a more accurate timeline. Been following the domaine casually since the 2007 release but been buying a lot more since the 2011 release. Lessened my buying a bit on them in the past couple vintages as I personally prefer the more reductive profile.

Just drank the 2014 and 2016 Grand Charrons side by side

Some of the 2007 Grands Charrons I had were too reductive, though some were fine. I too like the reductive profile in general…here, in older Coche, and in PYCM. Stopped buying when the prices climbed, my last vintage was 2013 but haven’t tried yet. I thought the wines were well worth their price tag when they were $50 for thr Grands Charrons, and not really worth it when they were asking about $150 for village wine…let alone above that. Never had a premoxed bottle, I must say.

I wonder whether the incidence of premox will increase with B-V, and with Coche, for that matter, if their reductive style has changed.

+1.

Earlier this year, just prior to all this Covid stuff, I opened a bottle of 2011 Pierre Boisson Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru En Reugne with some itb friends. Initially was surprisingly dark in color, and the aromatics/flavors were worrying…not clearly premox…not clearly not either and brought up the question. 1.5-2 hours later, folks agreed it was fine and began opening up into a terrific wine. Interesting experience.

I think too much reduction is detrimental to a wine, so a judicious amount of addition oxygen during fermentation/elevage would extend its useful lifespan.