2011 Napa cabs

Ive drunk several of these recently, Chimney rock, Ramey, Ridge estate etc and im finding that i really enjoy this vintage. In the past ive avoided 11’s due to its reputation and that the Syrahs’s ive tried were not that great but the cabs seem to be very good. The general style of 11 is more reserved and to my taste its almost as if the Napa wines are more Bordeaux like in this vintage as the sweetness of fruit is not as pronounced and the wines are more structured. They have what i can only describe as a thinner quality, less chewy than normal Napa cabs that is actually very appealing.

Anyone else surprised by the 11’s ?

I think many on this board would agree with you. I’ve had some duds but some nice ones as well. Corison, Ch. Montelena, and Myriad come to mind.

I’d add Lamborn, Outpost, EMH, Beau Vigne, and Rivers-Marie (especially the Panek Vineyard) to the list.

Would Ridge even be considered Napa? I think it’s SF Bay / SCM?

Had a 2011 Calera Selleck recently and it was the group favorite. Also, love the 2011 Spottswoode.

Yeah, I’m amazed by how well the 98s turned out a few years after the vintage, once all the negative hype died down and many people realized that some of the blockbuster years weren’t aging particularly well.

Oh. Wait. Sorry. 2011.

Same thing.

Interesting to see if opinions from this thread panned out: https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/fear-of-2011-napa-cabernet/109409/1

I had another 2011 Jean Edwards a couple of nights ago that was fresh and restrained and lovely, and excellent not just for the vintage.

I’ve enjoyed the '11 Quivet Pellet and Kenefick Cabernets. The RM Napa I was less than thrilled with, a bit disjointed. I have an '11 Panek that I have not tried. The nice thing is if you find one you like some below cost prices can be found for some of them because of the medium scores and '11 reputation.

I have been surprised by how good these have turned out as well. Very Bordeaux like and need some time to open up. A few bottles I did not like on day 1 opened them, that really came around on day 2. L’Adventure(cab blend), Cabaud, Jonata(though not Napa), Buccella, Morlet, Realm, I have a R-M '11’s that I will have to give a try.

I have drunk all but two bottles of the 2011 vintage of napa cabs and I have zero regrets. It allowed me the ability to drink less of the 2012 and pretty much leave 2013 vintage alone.

Agree with the 2011 Napa vintage having a ton BDX like qualities. I opened a 2011 Araujo Alianza a few weeks back and it was delightful.

I am enjoying the 2011s. Kathryn and 1873 from Hall, La Jota, O’Shaugnessy, have been very good recently.

We are still waiting on some 11s to come around, my wife has been down on them for several years, but I firmly believe they will continue to come around. We have an Ilsley that we will leave until we (she) has more confidence. Good to see some positive thoughts.

Some producers complained that their grapes didn’t fully ripen in 2011. The obvious question to them is, what exactly are you trying to make? Okay some 2011’s are lighter in body and extract, but isn’t that welcome?. I actually prefer the 2011 Drinkward Peschon to the 2010 and 2012. The 2011 Dunn Howell Mountain is a spectacular wine, I picked some up for $99. Then there is the 2011 Heather Glen, all 10 cases, which also blows away many of the 99-100 point fruit bombs from 2012 and 2013.

That’s an impressive vote of confidence! I’ve never heard of them, and Google and CellarTracker weren’t much help. Wine Searcher turned up a 1.75L bottle, no mention of vintage, available for $12 in Memphis. That doesn’t sound right…

Thanks Glen - which 2011 cab was it? Time for me to do a progress check on that vintage.

'11 Continuum drank well about a year ago but we haven’t checked in lately.

The Stagecoach. Boy howdy!

I was very selective buying 2011 Napa Cabs, but have been happy with those I’ve opened. The 2011 Shafer Hillside was less dense than adjacent vintages but still excellent. The 2011 EMH Black Cat Special Selection in my glass right now is elegant, beautifully balanced, and another excellent wine.

Exactly. It’s the drive to conform to image instead of focusing on quality.