Berlin and Austria Visit - Wine/Beer Help Please

I will be doing short visits in Berlin, Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck. I’d like to visit a wine bar, restaurant with good wine list and wine retail shop with good local collections in each stop. Any recommendations would be most welcome. I also will be traveling with children and SOs aged 23-28 and they prefer beer so any similar recommendations for beer sourcing along the way would be appreciated. Thanks!

In Vienna there’s Vinothek St. Stephan which I picked up a few of Veyder-Malberg’s wines from for a song. There selection of local stuff is pretty good as were their prices relative to other places I stopped by. The guys who work there know the inventory well and are worth listening to for advice.

For Vienna THIS …

… might help, some of the best wine-bars in the city.

Wein&Co has a really good selection of Austrian (and foreign) wines … several shops (some with a bar) in Vienna.

You can get good beer almost everywhere … I prefer it “open” / “vom Fass” (not in bottle but from cask/barrel) …

You’re gonna have a blast. Definitely get your hands on some local Grüner Veltliner in Vienna. Not a terribly complex white, but always dry, refreshing, and well-made. Salzburg is a beautiful and charming little city. Highly recommend this tourist district branch of Wein & Co (Austrian wine store chain). I believe you can drink any bottle you purchase in-store on their outdoor patio for a small corkage fee. Prices are more than fair.

In Salzburg I would recommend a stop at Sporer for schnapps and brandy. The shop space is small but the spirits were lovely and they did have a small selection of wines available as well. The proprietors were great about sampling you through the offerings of spirits. We came away with Raspberry and Pear schnapps and a bottle of Kracher TBA.

We visited Vienna a few years back . . .
For wine tasting: Vinothek W-Einkehr; anything from an introduction to a focused tasting. Tell Roland your interests and approx price range and he will take the lead from there. Cheese and charcuterie to accompany.
For Beer and some food: We enjoyed the beer, Austrian food and the atmosphere at Glacis Beisl after visiting the nearby Leopold Museum where we were introduced to this guy:
egon.jpg
ENJOY !

In Vienna
Weinfach Vinothek & Bar
http://www.weinfach.at/#!home/main

EF 16 Gashaus and Weinbar https://www.ef16.net/

Restaurant Konstantin Filippou Michelin 1* and has a more casual place next door

Are you a fundamentalist mormon?

I thought you guys were supposed to abstain from the ETOH.

I framed a print of this Schiele we purchased at the Leopold. Definitely my favorite museum in Vienna. The Belvedere is also worth a trip if you’re looking for classical/master paintings and the largest collection of Klimt paintings.
Egon Schiele - Kneeling Woman in Orange-Red Dress.jpg

Fixed in bold. newhere

Great suggestions from the Board, feel free to add more, folks – thanks!

A place you would never forget you visited. Make sure you request to see the 60.000 bottle cellar.
http://palais-coburg.com/en/wine/wine-cellar/

To get a taste of the Viennese vibe visit the “Naschmarkt” which is an predominantly open air conglomerate of various retailers featuring anything from antiques to junk. Make sure to pop in one of the local wine bars (in particular Urbanek - tiny tiny spot but well worth it) to get your fix on Austrian best wines.

My favourite champagne bar
http://www.lecru.at/?

Depending on how much time you guys have you may want to consider to visit near by vineyards and experience a traditional “Heurigen”.

[oops.gif]

You haven´t had the really good and mature ones … right?
A GV can be everything from the undrinkable worst to the celestial greatest … flirtysmile

I agree with you Gerhard, although I have not quite reached the heavens with GV (yet). And Mark B., my opinion of GV was pretty much the same as yours before visiting Vienna and having a tasting at Vinothek W-Einkehr that took us up step by step through eye-opening GV. We had selected an overall introductory tasting of Austrian wine, but the proprietor saw our surprise and interest in the quality of the GV and took it up a few notches for us. Also eye-opening for us was the breadth of quality wine that Austria offers in general. [cheers.gif]

Aw, man, and here I was thinking you were a Player who was treating the sister wives & their kids to a European Vacation.

If you can squeeze a day trip to the Wachau region near Vienna, I highly recommend it. Beautiful and easy to get around, with charming restaurants and lots of great wineries, and there’s a fantastic wine shop in Spitz (Vinothek Fohringer, https://www.fohringer.at) right on the Danube. I’ve never seen anything like it, they had something like 100 wines open (under Argon) to taste for free along with cheese and crackers. And anything else not already opened that I expressed an interest in (“how’s this smaragd?”), the manager would open that too to try, again for free. Plus, despite being a tourist area, their prices on Austrian wines were excellent, certainly much better than in the USA and at least competitive with other shops in Austria. I tried ~30 wines (4-5 of which they opened on the spot), an excellent Austrian apricot brandy, and spent at least 2 hours in the lovely shop chatting with the manager. I left with a case of Austrian wines for which they gave me a 15% case discount.

How’d you do the day trip? Rent a car? That looks easiest, but was thinking about trying a 2-3 day trip from Vienna and going by boat (first getting out to somewhere in the Wachau by train), stopping at various towns on the way down the Danube (seems fun).

Yes, I rented a carin Vienna, left early and was back that evening. I did a tasting at 3 wineries (by appointment) as well. I didn’t want the day to end.