TNs: various reds from recent gathering (mostly CA)

As a continuation of the separate Chardonnay thread I posted. These are the rest of the wines we tasted through. These notes should be taken for what they are (i.e.: brief snapshots from a non-serious social gathering).

Pinot Flight
The Bonaccorsi and the Kieu Hoang split the 8 first place votes, with the Walter Scott coming up empty. Only the Bonaccorsi was of any interest to me, and I affirmatively disliked the overly-alcoholic Kieu Hoang.

2014 Bonaccorsi Pinot Noir Sebastiano Sta. Rita Hills - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (3/23/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 min –

Red-fruited with a hint of tar on the Nose. Medium-light bodied, red-fruited, and with medium to medium+ acidity. I liked this, but wouldn’t seek it out.

2014 Kieu Hoang Pinot Noir - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (3/23/2019)
– popped and poured –

“Darker” Nose than the 2014 Bonaccorsi “John Sebastiano” Pinot in the same flight: hint of tar/gasoline; a bit medicinal; can smell the alcohol fumes. Medium-light body, despite the 14.8% alc., which is quite noticeable; purple-fruited. I did not like this one.

2017 Walter Scott Pinot Noir La Combe Verte - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (3/23/2019)
– popped and poured –

Straightforward, red-fruited aromatics. Medium-light bodied and tannic. A bit smoky with a hint of funk. Short finish. Meh.

Pair of Cabernet Sauvignons
I had a strong preference for the Anakota here, but it was the Nickel & Nickel that garnered more favorite votes (5). The Anakota was my favorite red wine of the evening, although I wouldn’t drink it now.

2015 Nickel & Nickel Cabernet Sauvignon Branding Iron - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (3/23/2019)
– decanted for 1.0 – 1.5 hours before tasting –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 30 minutes –

Smells young, with notes of rubber, orange oil, and concentrated strawberry Twizzlers. Medium-full bodied. Smooth, oaky, gently tannic. Chocolate-covered cherries. Medium acidity. 14.9% alc. comes through a bit. I believe this will benefit from short to mid term cellaring.

2015 Anakota Cabernet Sauvignon Helena Dakota Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (3/23/2019)
– decanted for 1.0 – 1.5 hours before tasting –

“Dark” nose of smoky coffee and non-descript dark fruits. Medium-full bodied. Dark-fruited on the palate. 13.8% alc. not noticeable. Big, but not overblow. Won’t ever be confused for a “classic” Bordeaux, but it’s quite good for what it is.

Three more Napa/Sonoma reds
The Peju and the Chappellet were poured side-by-side, and the Ramey was opened afterwards. Voting was between the Peju and Chappellet only; I was one of only two who preferred the Chappellet.

2015 Peju Province Winery Cabernet Franc - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/23/2019)
– pretty sure this was popped and poured –

Nose was oaky, purple-fruited with a touch of tobacco, and a bit fumey. Medium-full bodied. Lots of French oak on the palate, along with non-descript purple fruits; fairly “big” at 15.1% alc… Not much Cab. Franc. character, but perhaps a bit of cellar time would improve on that.

2016 Chappellet Mountain Cuvée - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/23/2019)
– pretty sure this was popped and poured –
– 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 24% Merlot, 13% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc –

Nose is rich, with notes of dark chocolate and bitter florals. Medium-full bodied. Purple-fruited and chocolatey on the palate, with a hint of pyrazines. 14.5% alc…

2015 Ramey Syrah Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/23/2019)
– popped and poured –

Smelled and tasted stemmy. 14.5% alc… I liked it, but didn’t love it.