Sending bottles home from Napa

Visiting Napa for first time next month. Going to celebrate a birthday and figured it may be fun to pick up some bottles while out there to bring home for future celebrations. Do the wineries offer their own shipping methods while out there? As in, can I buy some wine and have them ship it home for me?

Is there a store or service that I can use out there to drop off wine to be shipped back to me?

Looking to avoid lugging bottles around on a road trip and finding room in luggage

Most wineries are willing to ship the wines for you. If you buy only a few btls, the $/btl can become expensive.
Tom

adams st shipping in st helena and about 100 similar places seem to specialize in wine shipping and have containers etc
btw love that dogfish beer!

Many threads about this issue, with lots of suggestions, depending on how much you buy.

Thanks for responses. I will use the search function when I have more time.

I would imagine that we would be walking away with a total of 6 to 12 bottles in all, so consolidating shipping to one source is what I’d be looking at. Shipping to Florida, so may have to look into cold shipping or hold until fall.

I also have access to some of the winery’s wines back at home, but thought it would be more special to bring some back. Thanks again for input. I’m staying at the Inn on First so reached out to them for recommendations

Go to the local UPS store. Buy one shipper. Fill with 12 bottles of wine. Take back as checked baggage.

Issue resolved. I reached out to the Inn where I am staying and there is a service that comes to the Inn to pick up bottles for shipping. Seems like the most practical thing for me to do.

The main issue with that is lugging around a 13 bottle shopper on a road trip

that 13 bottle shipper is oddly bulky :wink:

true, but consider:

1. you get your wine when you walk off the plane, eliminating the need to wait for a shipment, weather issues, Common Carrier mistakes, etc.

2. checked bag is only $25 on most airlines, sometimes less if you fly a bunch. shipping wine from CA to FL, depending on the service, could be 2x to 4x as much.

Wine Check - Todd, I’ll send you my address for my commission check!

Thanks! More food for thought! Honestly, I may just price out the service the hotel works with and see what the price is. I think my wife would kill me if we carried another piece of luggage from stop to stop (4 stops in 9 nights)

If you’re going to be a wino, your wife will have to learn to accept this :wink: I’m actually quite serious. And it’s not really a big deal.

4 stops in 9 nights ? Ouch . Too much for me. Where you staying ?

SF, Napa, Carmel, Santa Barbara, fly out of LA. Little road trip to celebrate my better half’s birthday. It’ll be a little hectic but looking forward to it. But ya, with all the hustle and bustle, I think shipping directly from Napa may be the move.

One winery was kind enough to let me consolidate bottles from other places in one case, and then ship it for me. I bought a half dozen bottles and asked if I could leave the there while I made other visits and bring the other bottles later. They were fine with that.

Ah, didn’t make the connection between this and your overall trip, duh. In that case, hauling wine around and worrying about it in a warm car is a PITA, one which would put a scowl on even my wife’s face :wink: Shipping is definitely the answer.

Thanks again for all the replies and information. It seems my best bet is to price out the option the Inn has, and go from there

It was several years back , but when we stayed at the Wine Country Inn in St. Helena at the end of each day we gave them our wine from various wineries .When we left they worked with a shipping company who sent us 1 consolidated shipment .

The Inn on First uses Carton and crates, which seems like a similar deal to the above. Now just need to see if they offer refrigerated shipping or hold until fall lol [snort.gif]