Work is lots of Oregon Pinots

33F648F1-8312-4D6B-A620-24B18483CF90.jpeg
Some days work is about learning about what is going on around you. Pretty nice line up of interesting wines.

#1 Patricia Green Cellars 2016 Freedom Hill Vineyard Dijon 115 Clone (someone else brought this).
#2 Bethel Heights 2017 Casteel
#3 Coelho 2016 Estate Vineyard
#4 Grochau Cellars 2016 Zenith Vineyard
#5 Patricia Green Cellars 2017 Olenik Vineyard Anklebreaker
#6 Flaneur 2016 Flanerie Vineyard
#7 Red Electric 2016 Armstrong Vineyard
#8 Franny Beck 2016 La Chenaie
#9 One Hundred Sun 2016 Shea Vineyard
#10 Violin 2016 Eola-Amity
#11 St. innocent 2015 Shea Vineyard
#12 Flaneur 2016 X Novo Vineyard
#13 Soter 2015 Mineral Springs
#14 Red Electric 2016 Armstrong Vineyard Pulse
#15 Longplay 2016 Jory Bench Reserve
#16 Patricia Green Cellars 2017 Estate Vineyard, Wadensvil Block
#17 Le Cadeau 2015 Reserve
#18 Redolent 2016 Carlton Hill Vineyard
#19 Guillen Cellars 2016 Adrian
#20 Vincent 2016 Zenith Vineyard

Other than the Le Cadeau that suffered from some sort of cork failure all the wines were solid and good, it just depended on where your personal tastes lie for acid, wood, whole cluster and so on.

Patricia Green Cellars wines aside, the wines that stood out to me were the Flaneur X Novo, Violin, Franny Beck and Vincent.

Informational and nice to see folks doing well with their fruit.

Been hearing good things about Franny Beck for a while. Need to try some. Never tasted or seen Flaneur or Violin…or One Hundred Sun or Redolent or Guillen Cellars.

Nice exploration!

RT

Life is hardly working…

Yes–working hardly. I wonder what the analogous day would be for a bricklayer or a pipe-fitter.

Flaneur is a relatively new winery currently based in Carlton with vineyards in Chehalem Mountains and Ribbon Ridge (we will actually be buying some fruit from both in 2019 and have high, high hopes for one of them) and has Grant Coulter (formerly at Beaux Freres) as the winemaker. 100 Suns is Grant’s personal winery. Violin is a guy named Will Hamilton who used to be a cork rep and trained at Walter Scott. Guillen is/was Jose Guillen who was the winemaker at White Rose until his sudden and tragic passing a few months ago. Don’t know the Redolent person or story.

How unpleasant !

Need detailed tasting notes for each [snort.gif]

Someone’s got to do it. Those wines are not rating themselves.

Wrote them down on a paper bag.

I took scattered notes but yes, a good showing for almost everything. 16s are showing more grip and solidity than before. 17s a bit leaner and bright than more recent years, in a good way. My faves were probably Violin Eola Amity 2016 for its nice woven structure and delicate density, and the Patricia Green Olenik Anklebreaker 2017 for its crunchy brightness. Thanks Grochau Cellars for hosting!

That’s a nice lineup of wines with some newish producers in the mix. Thanks for posting and sharing some thoughts on the wines. How about a similar tasting the last week of June? Just kidding…

I’ve been wanting to visit Flaneur the past few years, but we always run out of time. We were fortunate to taste with Renee at Hundred Suns last summer and I was very impressed with the wines. At the time of the tasting, they were already sold out of a majority of wines, but I was able to purchase a few bottles of 2016 Bednarik and 2016 Sequitur and I purchased a mixed case of 2017’s upon release this spring. Renee and Grant had just closed on a property with some vines in the Eola Amity Hills the week of our visit last summer. As Jim A. mentioned, Grant was previously at Beaux Freres as assistant winemaker and eventually head winemaker.

Our local wine shop has been carrying Violin wines for the last 12-18 months, so I’ve been able to try a number of different bottles. The wines are very elegant. Coincidentally, Will Hamilton will be at the local wine shop on Wednesday for a Violin tasting. I’ll try to take better tasting notes and perhaps post them later this week. I’m guessing that Will has a connection to NC.

I’m not familiar with Redolent either.

James

Too bad about the Le Cadeau. I haven’t had one in a long time (was once an early list member) and would love to hear how it was doing.

My 08 Le Cadeau are drinking well now.