sami-odi arrives in ny

so back in january i heard from fraser about an offer of his latest 2 wines
for those of us that get styro shipments regularly we all know the shapes of the boxes
i guess because its oz they do it differently as i’ve never seen an upright 12 pack like this
nonetheless, after it’s very long journey to my office i will give it a few days and pop a “little” wine asap
btw the other wine is the 2017 Sami-Odi ‘Hoffmann Dallwitz’ (Syrah)
cheers [cheers.gif]

Sami-Odi ‘Little Wine’ #8 (Syrah)
An unvintaged ‘assemblage’ composed of casks from 2018 (48%), 2017 (29%), 2016 (12%), 2015 (9%) & 2012 (2%). Exclusively sourced from our treasured plots within the Hoffmann’s ‘Dallwitz’ vineyard from vines planted in 1996, 1995, 1960 & the oldest vines planted prior to 1912.
6415 bottles were filled

opened one of these last night. gorgeous syrah fruit if a bit primary (duh). plenty of fruit but also acid to balance. under all those layers of fruit some earthiness to keep you thinking syrah. only had 1 glass and left the rest for tonight. will report back if enough change.

Thanks for the heads up about your initial impression! I’ve been wondering about cracking one of the “littles” myself. I am absolutely head over heels for these wines, and (selfishly) hope they stay semi under the radar!

Unfortunately the Little Wine received a brilliant review here in Auz (97+ Pts and “Hard to find better from the region” ) by the WineFront and sold out days after. Everybody wishes Fraser well, but subsequent vintages may be harder to source. I presume mailing list customers should still be ok though.

Never heard of these. What does the numbers after “little Wing” signify?

The number is the Release, so “Little Wine #8” is the 8th release of the non-vintage wine. Just received the 2017 HD and LW#8 in San Diego, but will be a few months before I try one. Opened 2 of the 2016 HD and one LW#7 in the past year and really enjoyed all three, although probably still too young. Would love to find and try some of the 2010-2015 wines, or perhaps even this one:

[cheers.gif]

Love these wines! I just received a shipment from them this week.

Thx for the explanation. Whats the typical drinking window for these?

-¥ 0 ñ 9,

The Little Wine is a little beauty. Drink it young and fresh or keep for 5-10. Your choice.

Cheers
Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy. I will add these to my list.

I had one last night with dinner. No idea which one as I can’t read the label properly. A bit green when young, so give them a bit of air. They have a lovely silkiness about them and rich fruit.

IMG_2961.JPG

[quote=“Steve Anderson”

The number is the Release, so “Little Wine #8” is the 8th release of the non-vintage wine. Just received the 2017 HD and LW#8 in San Diego, but will be a few months before I try one. Opened 2 of the 2016 HD and one LW#7 in the past year and really enjoyed all three, although probably still too young. Would love to find and try some of the 2010-2015 wines, or perhaps even this one:

[cheers.gif]
[/quote]

funny steve
that thread was started by me as well. may i should shut up about these wines!

Dave - that’s the NV Little Wine #7 from last year’s release. Here is the label decoder link: WINES - Sami-Odi

This year’s labels are even harder to read. [cheers.gif]

Mark - Ha! Hadn’t caught that. And yes, too much praise may result in the wine being Gonero sooner…