TN: 2017 A.J. Adam Riesling Trocken

I have recently developed a liking for Riesling. I do not mind a bit of residual sweetness in the wine and find it can play well with the mineral and somewhat citrusy flavors and the “energy” that seem to come with the grape. But my wife, who generally loves a well-made wine that is fully committed to sweetness, usually does not like a “hint” of sweetness in what seems otherwise a fairly dry wine. She can really enjoy a Sauternes, Tokay, or Coteaux du Layon, but turns her nose a bit at many Vouvrays and Rieslings. Someone suggested that we (she) give the Riesling Trocken style a try . . .

This wine is a modest offering about $20, and I have previously had the producer’s 2015 Dhrohner Hofberg Kabinett which I enjoyed a lot. This is VERY different! Yes, this Trocken is DRY. My first impression straight from the fridge was of slight petillance, prominent tart fruit, and an almost medicinal herbal minerality. Not appealing. My wife and I finished two glasses; both of her glasses were finished before mine. I kept my best poker face as I tried to get the wine to speak to me. As she was finishing her second glass she declared “This is a nice wine!”. Well, we have found a Riesling style that appeals to her at last! As I finished my own second glass, I had a slightly more favorable opinion of a steely “pure” wine; the petillance gone, the tartness subdued. Will revisit this style.