BS pricing

Basically, they want Tokaji Aszú to be as revered as it once was. Today in the US, people think of Burgundy and Bordeaux as being the most collectable and desirable wines on the planet, but that wasn’t always the case. So they figure if they charge $40,000 a bottle and only make a few bottles, they’ll be back up in the expensive wine category.

It’s what makes people think wine drinkers are stupid. The wine isn’t any better than the bottles costing much less, the extra pricing is strictly for marketing. I thought the French and CA cult producers had the lead in BS pricing, but I guess these guys lapped them.

Do they give case discounts?

[wink.gif]

All press is good press. They got them some press.

Wait until you try our $35/glass Muscat!

The first buyer did not wait that long - shortly after placing the order, an unnamed Chinese investor threw a party for clients where the wine was promptly uncorked, Kovacs said.

Does the article even say what the wine is? I don’t see it.

I was gonna buy, but the shipping cost was too high.

And the packaging is not eco-friendly.

As I recall, circa 1900, late harvest Rhine wines were the most expensive in the world.

It is clever; when someone who knows little about wine wants the best, he may decide that the best is the most expensive.

True. But for the First World War, and the boycott of German wines, they might still be. Unlikely but possible.

$40,000 wine is dead at retail

i’d say it $40,000 wine never lived at retail :wink:

This thread was only a couple of weeks ago:

Congratulations to the high bidder - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Direct link:

K&L Wine Merchants - Sign In or Create An Account

$40,000 in 2019 dollars translates to roughly $2500 in 1999 dollars [I can’t imagine that a then-recent release of a DRC-RC, or a JJ Prum Auction TBA, sold for much more than $2500 in 1999 - maybe $4000 max].

I know there’s an absolute rock-solid ban on mentioning whatever the various moderators deem to be “politics” at any particular moment of any particular day, depending upon their particular moods at the particular time in question, but you Civilians, who aren’t aware of the omnipotent power of Fake Money and the Global Corruption Industrial Complex, need to wake up and smell the dadgum coffee.

If you’re a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer or a dentist or an accountant or a real estate agent, grossing $250K to $500K per year, then you don’t amount to an ant - not even a gnat - when compared to the 21st Century Oligarchs.

They live in an entirely different reality, which exists completely apart from Civilian life.

You’re off by more than a factor of 10: $40,000 today is equivalent to about $26,000 in 1999 dollars.

Forget it John, he’s on a roll.