Edenic Chardonnays

Sometimes ya gotta pull the corks!

2010 Domaine Eden Chardonnay – Consumed three days ago. Surprisingly light gold-green color. The aromas are wonderful, featuring quince, forelle pear, sage and conifer. The palate is even better, the texture a wonderful amalgam, solid as iron, light as a spiderweb, with solidity winning the finish, which lasts over a minute. The fruit flavors mimic the aromas, but somehow the pear got ripe between the nose and the mouth. This is fully secondary, with a hint of fresh-baked bread and also floral notes, as if Meursault and Puligny were rooting for the mountain conifer. Brilliant, balanced, seamless wine at full maturity. Rated 96, this does not have the intensity of perfection but comes very close.

2013 Mount Eden Chardonnay – Open now. Bright light gold color. Aromas are Rome apple and bosc pear, with a tiny floral note, the aromas are just past primary. The palate is rich, almost dense, slightly oily but with plenty of vigorous acidity. The fruits are more white than yellow, there is a note of Asian spices, less conifer than I usually get from this wine, but still a welcome hint of green in the ripe, long finish. This is young; IIRC the first time I’ve had this vintage at home. While truly beautiful today, this will be a marathon runner… try at 26.22 years (with cold storage) and we could be flirting with perfection. I’ve got over a case, a lot of wine for me, will wait at least 2 years to crack another.
Rated 93, 2 – 7 points of improvement inevitable over 2 – 20 years.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks for the notes Dan! I know you are a big fan of this wine. I have several 14’s in transit to me right now, have not tried it yet. That 10 sounds like it is in the zone!