We pay 30% more to buy to buy a bottle of Taylor Port in the US.

I chose the single vineyard Taylor 1969 because it is a brand new release, and therefore, there is no question of there being any old stock.

So in the UK, it is going from a low of $162 to generally $170. Here in the US, the low is $230, and the retail at a major player, Total Wine is $249. We bitch about the three tier system constantly, and how it effects consumers, so it is interesting to see in dollars and cents the actual cost as each tier grabs its cut.

(BTW, you will taxed around 10% more in the UK than here, but at least the money is not going to entrenched special interests).

“BTW, you will taxed around 10% more in the UK than here, but at least the money is not going to entrenched special interests).”

Or at least, not directly. [stirthepothal.gif]

Brexit discount.

Being released here in Canada next month for $297CAD/$222USD, taxes in. We generally pay far higher prices for most wine. You’re getting screwed.

Looked up some Brunellos last night, seems we are paying >100% more in States.

lots of stuff for which we pay more than 100% more than in Europe. It’s the joys of the 3 tier system.

Wow is me in the US

Buy a car and fill with gas in the UK, buy a house, eat out, drink out, pay income tax, buy good cookware any of these will make you beg for US pricing.

I caculate my overall spending power is at least double in the US over UK

Over the past 20 years or so, I’ve noted the exact same wine in the States is 2-3x retail.
Are you talking about the Single Harvest Taylors? These are not old since Taylors is releasing them at 50 years of age for celebrations. Most of the stock came from their purchase of Wiese & Krohn a few years ago.

Yes; the 1969 version. Cheaper to buy the exquisite 1970 vintage

yup, the thread title is close to a non-sequitor. Agrapart in Paris 40% cheaper! to nobodies surprise.

How much of that price difference is just the cost for getting it across the ocean?

A couple of dollars

I once arranged to import 50 cases of wine. After everything, including US taxes, it was about $3 a bottle. That was in 2002, so add on inflation, but subtract economies of scale for a professional importer. But they are charging you for their services, including finding the wine (the best importers are making all kinds of taste judments), taking the risk of bringing it in as well as the expense. I don’t expect them to work for free. Same can be said for the owners of wine stores who take a good markup but have to run a business. It’s the third tier of state control that I don’t see any added value in. If the states want to tax more, they should just do that.

Is the 1970 Single Harvest for sale yet. They were releasing the series at 50 years of age. You’re not talking about the 1970 Vintage Port? Completely different animals. The Single Harvest wines are wood aged.

The 1969 has apparently just been released, so I would expect it will be a year before the 1970 will be released. I brought up the 1970 vintage just for comparison.

Don’t know of anyone tasting a potential 1970 Single Harvest. Just because 1970 is a fabulous Vintage Port year, doesn’t mean it’s good for wood aged wines. Many great wood aged wines from terrible Vintage years. A few years had both, but haven’t heard about 1970.

I would imagine a good year for vintage Port would also be a good Tawny.

BTW IN addition to next year’s 1970 tawny and the vintage, there was also a very limited production of Port from vines that were flooded during the building of the new dam in the Duoro. It was a special hommage, pleasant enough but asked alongside the vintage, it was quite light. Not sure it was ever released.

It really is a travesty, that this three tiered system is here in NY. However I do not see any relief at all, the big boys are too big and their lobbying pockets are immense.

Then again, the PA border is not that far away, hmmm