Poll: what do you mean when you write "struck match" as a descriptor?

What are you trying to describe with the term “struck match”?

• Smokiness
  • A toasted oak note
  • SO2 pungency (more of a feeling than an actual aroma)
  • A “toasty” note, as from just toasted bread
  • A sulfury/skunky aroma of some kind
  • A rocky/mineral/petrichor aroma
  • Exactly that: struck match
  • Other
  • None, I don’t use it

0 voters

Several recent discussion on “reduction” have brought up the “struck match” note that sometimes gets used to describe the aroma of certain wines, notably “high quality” white Burgundy. I can’t say I really associate “struck match” with anything I’ve smelled on a wine, though I can see where it might be an imaginative descriptor, and has obviously crept into the lexicon. So, if you’ve used that term, what are you trying to convey?

Before you answer, may I suggest you go strike a match and take a whiff of the wisps of smoke that emanate? Because, while the aroma is interestingly pleasant, it’s not something I tend to smell in wine, and not a term I think I have ever used.

If there’s another descriptor you think should be in the poll, let me know and I’ll add it.

Feel free to write what you think “struck match” means to you, particularly if you choose “other”.

I hope Jeremy sees this and chimes in, because I know he uses the term quite a lot, and is one of the most experienced tasters among us.

I answered the poll first, then looked up a definition online.

“Sulfur dioxide is a colorless gas with a strong odor, similar to a just-struck match.”

Sure, a burning match smells like smoke, but as a descriptor for wine, I don’t mean the smokiness.

Slightly acrid sulfurous and slightly smokey note I equate with high SO2 and reduction. Different than smoke from the wood on the stick which is a quite nice smell.

[wink.gif] Watch out, Alan, you might bring down the wrath of GregP!

That split second when the matchhead is still flaring and there isn’t any smoke yet. it’s less a smell and more a feeling just like gunpowder which I get a lot in clos des goisses

Struck match to me is a bit Smokey but also a sulfite bite. If you have been around sodium thiosulfite or similar compounds has a very unique smell/taste.

I’ve come to learn that GregP in that other thread is a good dude, so I’ll stop being an ass about it an get over being miffed.

In the above poll, I chose, “A sulfury/skunky aroma of some kind.” Struck match was / is what jumps to my mind when I get that smell simply because it’s the closest thing I could think of. When I write a TN, I try and at least get close within the realm of things I’ve actually smelled and tasted. Sure, my “blackberry” may be a little less accurate than, say, “Himalayan blackberry” but I figure I’m conveying at least enough for someone to get a sense for what I’m smelling/tasting. That’s the same, for me, with struck match.

Modern safety matches contain very small amount of sulfur and do not give that classic ‘struck match’ smell of old. Get some strike anywhere matches for a better sense if not familiar with it.

Yes precisely this. It makes me think of being at the shooting range. It’s definitely not smoke or toasted oak or toasted bread

I thought it meant that you just decanted a Pegau, then had to light a match…

Yes, gunpowder I suppose, which for me—perhaps not for everyone–does have a distinctive aroma that is hard to actually break down, but “mineral-infused smoky” might be closest I can come. I don’t believe I’ve ever used it as a palate descriptor—only aromatic—but (being a lawyer, naturally) I won’t swear to that!

FTR, I think I’ve used it most often in conjunction with Chevalier Montrachet or Meursault Genevrieres or Perrieres.

Nate–that was mean. Dreadfully funny, but mean.

But good question Alan, and I too hope Jeremy sees this and jumps in.

Mike

A related thread with some useful posts from 3 years ago:

Bump. This is pretty interesting. Still haven’t heard from Jeremy, I’d really love his thoughts. I should have included a “I have never experienced/don’t believe this is an accurate descriptor” option, so if you fall into that category just choose “None”. Hope a few more people will vote.

To me, it is the same smell that I get from a struck match, and I do find it very clearly in some wines, usually Chardonnays.

Agree!

Although, sometimes there’s an impression of the smell of fireworks, too.

Loved your description, it is spot on!

I call the odor I think people are talking about as gunpowder. Think of it as the sulfurous fumes of Hell.

Interesting results, in that over half of people who use the term are meaning to describe something which isn’t “struck match”; and I’m willing to wager that a good fraction of the people who actually want to describe an aroma as actual “struck match” probably mean something else.

Once again, next time you think you smell struck match on a wine, go light a match and see if that’s really it. I’ve done it several times now, and can’t say I’ve ever smelled what I get on a wine.