Small blind flight of 2017 Chardonnay - Dauvissat, Walter Scott and PYCM

We had Brown bag night last Friday at the local watering hole - everson Royce.

I decided to blind four 2017 newly released chardonnays from a few producers.

Opened them around 3pm. One of the principles and I shared a couple pours to taste. Tossed them into the store fridge and came back to them at 8:30pm when everyone came in with their own offerings.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2017 Dauvissat Forest was similar to my last note, but lusher and fuller due to the extra air given to it. Expressive white fruit and a beautiful smoky floral note on the nose.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2017 Walter Scott Seven Springs - was excited to try their first bottling of this vineyard. Super clean and pure bright yellow fruit. Tons of sparkling mineral jumping lively on the palate. Wine is full of energy and vibrancy. A really interesting contrast to the X-Novo which is a denser wine. This was more like a high wire act.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
2017 Walter Scott x-novo - fairly different from the last bottle we had, which only had 30 minutes of air. The extra 4 odd hours really gave it time to expand in concentration and body. Filled out like a weightlifter. Slightly exotic fruit match with that reductive profile on the palate that gives it a complexity on the texture of the wine. The wine is so deep and concentrated with a backbone of acidity to keep it going. Brilliant wine. Hard to find. Chardonnay that hits at this high at this level year in and year out

2017 PYCM st aubin Hommage Marguerite- classic reductive smoke on the nose. Sappy orchard fruit and high acid. I do wish it had more on the mid palate as it hollows out a bit.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
My pick of the four was the X-Novo (clearly)

Nice!

Group consensus as well? I just don’t spend that much on domestic Chardonnay typically, but I’m going to have to give the WS wines a try. It sounds like they might have enough acid to hold my interest?

Did you get a ride in Frank’s mini van?

All over the place. One liked dauv more, one liked pycm, 3 of us liked the xnovo, one liked the seven Springs and two others did not voice their opinion. But they can voice it here!

Pick up some xnovo. I think you’ll be very surprised.

He brought it in hopes of recording something. But didn’t tell us until he was ready to leave. Lol

I like his IG feed.
Nice notes. Is Everson Royce worth the Uber ride from DTLA.?

I came a bit late and wasn’t blinded, but to my admittedly novice palate I preferred the X novo due to its nose and depth. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the notes. I loved the one Walter Scott chard I tried (BTG at Eleven Madison Park). I recently pre-ordered a six pack of that PYCM, so I’m glad to see it’s on form if lacking a little on the palate.