Hospice de Beaune labels

I purchased a barrel at the 2018 Hospice de Beaune auction. I am still torn if I should put anything more than just my name on the label with the alloted characters. Any thoughts?

Awesome! Which barrel did you purchase? My husband purchased a barrel in 2012 (before I met him) and put his name on the bottle. The script is small so it doesn’t look to over the top. We also only drink it for our family consumption, so his name on the bottle is just fine.

I can’t find a pic of the label for the bottle of the 2009 Hospices de Beaune Mazis-Chambertin Cuvée Madeleine Collignon Dujac - His Eminence Cardinal Tuppatsch and Flock, but here’s the one I did for the Charlotte Dumay. Neither was very serious and both were inside jokes amongst the other buyers.
IMG_1844.JPG

I bought Volnay premier cru General Muteau. That seemed to be a sweet spot. The Chinese have driven grand cru prices into the stratosphere. [soap.gif] I was trying to decide if I should put any kind of inside joke in addition to or in place of my name. The “King Angry and his loyal subjects” is pretty cute.

Mont,

Who is doing your elevage?

How much does a barrel cost?? That sounds expensive…but it might be cool to gather a group of friends to buy a barrel if you can get it in a reasonable price range. Do you get to request magnums & 3L??

Prices vary greatly by which vineyard the barrels of wine are from.

Depending on who you hire to do the elevage, you can order various formats.

…average of €13,833 per 228-litre barrel:

Which sounds expensive–but comes out to around €50 per bottle.

Large formats are totally up to the eleveur in my experience. We had a barrel done by Mounir Saouma from Lucien Lemoine. He did a few magnums but larger than that was going to require some major doing so we were limited to just mags and 750s. Some eleveurs have large formats readily at hand and can work that out without breaking the bank. Enjoy Mont. It is a fun thing to do.

Albert Bichot. They do the most elevage and have the infrastructure and economy of scale in place. In 2018 they are doing 161 barrels which is 20% of the total. They will do larger bottles. They quoted me 2 euros a magnum and 12 euros for jerobaums.

The average price in 2018 was 16,850 euros which is the highest yet. The weather in 2018 was ideal without hail or frost. The hammer price on the Volnay was 11,500 euros. By the time I pay for the buyers premium, elevage and bottling, I will be in the neighborhood of 20,000 euros without shipping to me. In 6 weeks, I will be in France and take a quick detour to taste the barrel and other Bichot wines. [cheers.gif]