TN: Picq, Pillot, Monnier, Moillard, Faiveley

BURGUNDY DINNER WITH THE CHEVALIERS DU TASTEVIN - Chez Mike, East Greenbush, NY (4/28/2019)

The Albany-Capital Region chapter of La Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin held a dinner at Chez Mike, 596 Columbia Turnpike, East Greenbush, NY.

The wines were from the chapter’s cellar. None of the wines were decanted, but they were opened for some time before serving.

Photos and more details can be found on my website.

Reception Hors d’Oeuvre
Goat Cheese Balls, Cucumber with Crab Stuffing, Pork and Pineapple.

• 2015 Gilbert Picq & ses Fils Chablis - France, Burgundy, Chablis
    [Pop & pour.] Impressive for a base Chablis. Good richness and acidity. Excellent balance. Eminently drinkable. (91 pts.)

First Two Courses
This white premier cru was served with the first two course:

1. Chilled Cauliflower Mousse, Smoked Salmon, Crispy Potato.
  2. Steamed PEI Mussels With Caramelized Apple, Shallots, Rosemary, & Vermont Creamery Butter.
  • 2010 Paul Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru
    [Open one hour, in the glass 30 minutes.] Nose opening up with a lovely fragrance of wet stones and lemon butter. Crisp, rich minerals in mouth. Complex and quite interesting. Went well with both courses. (93 pts.)

Third Course
3) Poached Eggs in Red Wine, Mushrooms, Spinach, Lentils, Bacon.

This Grand Épenots was originally to be served with the next course, but they decided to move it to this course. This was a good choice since the fat in the egg yoke cut the tannin in the wine. Les Beaux Monts did not have much tannin and might have been overwhelmed by the richness of this dish.

Fourth Course
4) Duck Pizza, Seared Breast & Confit, Swiss Chard, Caramelized Onions, Fontina Cheese.

• 2009 Moillard Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    [Open for about three hours.] Soft and fruity. Bright cherries and strawberries in the nose. Delicious fruity cherry and spice. A joyful wine. An excellent match with the duck pizza. (92 pts.)

Fifth Course
Bone Marrow Crusted Cervena Venison Loin, Carrot Puree, Gingerbread Sauce

• 2005 Faiveley Corton-Clos des Cortons Faiveley - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
    [Open for about four hours.] Black cherry nose. Rich, juicy, tannic. Still quite young. Needs at least 5 years more to fully open up. 94-96 points. (94 pts.)

Another excellent evening of friends, food, and wine. The food at Chez Mike is superb. Michael Cohen is one of the 3 or 4 best chefs in the Albany area.

Took a look at your website. That bone marrow made me hungry. I wonder how a duck pizza tastes. Never had one. Will have it give it a try.

I enjoy Faiveley but they take so long to come around, dont they?

This one still needed time. But I’m a Nebbiolo guy, so I think 14 years is too young for any good red wine.

Agree. I would say 2005 Faiveley corton will be ready minimum 20 years from vintage.