Didn't want to like it but...

Ever had this happen? If so, what was the wine?

Just happened to me with Lingua Franca. I was kind of hoping these wines were mostly a good story and hype surrounding the people involved, mostly because the prices are already on the upswing. But even with the wine I opened just being the young AVNI bottling (2016) I’m pretty impressed.

anyways, ever had a wine you were hoping you didn’t like before?

Visited and tasted their lineup. Great host. Nice wines. But honestly to me a bit stereotypical Oregon. I think I prefer Walter Scott and Cameron more. (And Thomas Of course).

That said. The “cheap” Avni bottling was delish. Not sure why their cheapest bottle was their tastiest one :slight_smile:

I didn’t find the 2016 Avni Chardonnay compelling but the 2016 Bunker Hill Chardonnay was very impressive. Haven’t tried any Pinots yet.

The avni Chardonnay was just easy to drink and delish.

The bunker hill while nothing “wrong”, is way too expensive for a rather generic tasting chard. Hard to recognize terroir. Especially with the seemingly heavy focus on it.
Avni was pretty generic too. But it’s cheap. So no expectations yet it was good!

I will say that I didn’t buy any more Lingua Franca, but did get quite a few 2017 Walter Scotts. Cause yum!

Old red Burgs. Like 50+ years old.
Didn’t think they had the stuffing.
Didn’t want to be proven wrong.
I was proven wrong.
By Francois Audouze and the crew at Bouchard.

Just like with people, never have hoped to not like a wine. Always go in with an open mind and willing to make adjustments as I learn.

Just like with people, never have hoped to not like a wine. Always go in with an open mind and willing to make adjustments as I learn.

Frosé

Touché

well i feel like you were just setting yourself up to be proven wrong with that one. lol

haha now see theres one that I’ve avoided so far because of this exact reason. we have a couple local places that make it.

since Lingua Franca has been in this convo some, Walter Scott’s Bunker Hill chard is still my favorite chardonnay ive ever had. which admittedly isnt many but still.

Matt!

Try it!

You know you want to.

Brunello Gelato in Montalcino. Weird, dark, bitter, intense. Not really a dessert thing but on a hot summer day it held its own.

Merry Edwards SB lol

Beringer PR Chard and Cloudy Bay SB are a couple of wines I didn’t want to like…but I did.

+1

An embarrassingly large amount of NZ Sauv Blanc.

I think when you’re in Montalcino if you see brunello gelato and don’t at least try it, then why are you even there?

sometimes it still just ends up being the right thing for the right occasion.

A 2012 Beringer cab bought on property to go with our picnic lunch. Good friends and good Dean and DeLuca chow surely helped.

Turley, both in general and specificall the Juvenile.
I’d had a glass of the Juvenile some years back and it came across as a hot fruit-bomb mess. I was set straight at the tasting room a couple weeks ago.
That led me to think that all their wines were like that (the high alcohols didn’t help that impression), but a visit to their tasting room on a tour organised by others last summer also set me straight there. Only downside is that it costs me too much money!